Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking for another thread that answered this question and I couldn't exactly find one.

I was wondering when the break in service is needed to be done on a 850 XP, whether it's 10 or 20 hours. I am also not sure what all needs to be done. Would rather do it all myself if possible for money reasons but I don't know what I need to get or what all to do.

Can someone help me out please!

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Pinochle You play cards do you? I love playing pinochle, but it's hard to find people to play with! And welcome to the board!

·
Registered
563 Posts
Your owners manual might be the same as mine.I think the 850 & the 550 are the same as far as break in service.I have a 550 and the owners manual says 550XP and 850XP on the cover.The break in period is 10hrs and change the oil and filter for the first time at 20hrs,one month or 500 miles whichever comes first.Then it says change oil every 100hrs.after the 20hr change.It says check your brake pads at 10hrs.Battery at 20hrs.Demand drive fluid,rear gearcase oil and tranny oil all at 25hrs.Just make sure your fluid levels are good and air filter and if you ride through water very much,I would go ahead and lube it at 25hrs too.Check the lugnuts and make sure the thumb throttle is working good.I dont think the dealers do much more than that.Hope that helps.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah that does help. So Polaris doesn't require you check valve clearances and more mechanical things like that at 20 hrs.?

A friend of mine has the Yamaha Grizzly and it requires all that, so I was just making sure I didn't have to also.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pinochle You play cards do you? I love playing pinochle, but it's hard to find people to play with! And welcome to the board!
Yeah actually I do ove to play cards but I don't really play pinochle that often actually. haha. I was given the nickname from a youth leader in my church about 10 years ago and it's stuck ever since.

But thanks for the greeting, I'm looking forward to finding alot of useful information from this site..

·
Registered
563 Posts
From what I gather in the manual,you dont need to check valve adjustment until 1000hrs or 10,000 miles.That sounds like a long time doesn't it,but I double checked to make sure before I posted it.I just looked at my 07 500 manual and it says check valve adj at 100 miles.Thats a big difference! I hope these new XP engines are that good.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's what I was figuring also but I just wanted to make sure they didn't accidentally leave something out.

Thanks for the help!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts