Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for some advice on purchasing a winch for my 09 Sportsman 850. I have searched around and found bits of info but nothing conclusive. As I understand it the 850 comes pre-wired for the winch but I'm not sure to what extent or if it is even true.

Looking for advice on the following...

Cable or rope? I want to be able to pull friends out but also wrap around a tree to pull myself out.

Weight? I don't think I would consider anything less than 3500lb but is it overkill to get the 5000lb? I only need it to pull myself out and help a friend out as well. Don't think I will be pulling a full size truck but who knows.

Viper or Warn? Maybe this is more of a personal preference but I'm curious on anyone's thoughts on which one is better.

I was looking at the Warn Provantage PV3500 and PV3500-S but the Viper Elite 5000lb is roughly the same price.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Warn & Vipers are very good. The viper is a little cheaper price wise. The 3500 should be all you need.IMO I also suggest on getting a tow strap to wrap around a tree trunk or something to use with the winch. Between wire or rope, I'd go with rope.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
I doubt there is anything bigger than 3500 in the correct frame size to fit the mount. Whatever you buy will come with wiring to hook it up so don't worry about that. Get the warn mount no matter what winch you buy. It's the best one out there other than the Polaris one but you can't get that without buying their winch.

·
Super Moderator
7,073 Posts
A 2500 lb is actually plenty of winch for an 850 lb quad, but it's your money not mine. I much prefer the synthetic rope over the steel cable. Use a tree strap. Never wrap your line, regardless of type, around the tree. My preference would be the WARN. Ever wonder why a 5000 lb. winch would be the same price as a 3500? :hmmm:

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
2500 winch on a 900lb quad.....if stuck in mud....ain't gonna do it. I have a terra 3500 and have had 2 situations where it could not get me out...and my quad doesn't weigh 900lbs. U can get by with a smaller winch if using a snatch block...I always have one with me....and if ur not in mud. For the small price difference I would certainly go with 3500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
294 Posts
Ever wonder why a 5000 lb. winch would be the same price as a 3500? :hmmm:
I believe it's called marketing expenses. :veryhappy:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's what I was thinking too. I have read several threads on the subject and most seem to believe the Viper is just as good as the Warn and actually recommend the Viper due to the difference in cost.

I may still go with the Warn PV3500-S just because "it's made in the USA" but it's $117 more then the Viper EX3500 which seems to be identical in specs. The Viper includes a 8000lb snatch block but only has a 2 year warranty while the Warn comes with 3 years.

Anyone here have the EX3500 or other Viper models? Curious on your opinion of them based on actual use.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I went with the Viper Elite EX4500. It comes with the synthetic line and still cost less than the Warn PV3500-S. It's on back order at the ATV Superstore so hopefully they get it in soon and ship it to me.

I also decided to get the Rear cargo box w/seat and foot rest kit for the passenger. Need to keep the wife and kids comfortable when they are riding with me.:)

·
Super Moderator
7,073 Posts
Whatever it takes to make you feel better....... :ponder: :)
I stand by my comment that a 2500 is plenty. If needed, a snatch block will give you 5000 lbs. of pull. That will either get you out or break something trying. Start putting more than 5000 lbs. of pull on your quad and you will start pulling it apart.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I stand by my comment that a 2500 is plenty. If needed, a snatch block will give you 5000 lbs. of pull. That will either get you out or break something trying. Start putting more than 5000 lbs. of pull on your quad and you will start pulling it apart.
I found that many people actually recommend the Viper over the Warn. Not sure that Warn is that much better to justify the huge increase in price. I don't mind spending more if it's worth it. Even though 2500lb may be enough I went with the 4500lb just to ensure I have more than enough power. I remember a quote saying that nobody will ever wish they bought a smaller winch when pulling their machine out of the mud.:)

·
Registered
294 Posts
Hopefully your electrical system is up to the task for the 4500. That one draws a lot more juice than the smaller ones.

bobx2, I don't even own a winch but I'm not so naive as to think that companies that do a bunch of advertising and have their names plastered everywhere don't pass that cost right along to the consumer. Advertising definitely works, but it's not cheap.

·
Super Moderator
7,073 Posts
I found that many people actually recommend the Viper over the Warn. Not sure that Warn is that much better to justify the huge increase in price. I don't mind spending more if it's worth it. Even though 2500lb may be enough I went with the 4500lb just to ensure I have more than enough power. I remember a quote saying that nobody will ever wish they bought a smaller winch when pulling their machine out of the mud.:)
Probably right about that. :yup:

Trying to think when the last time was that I saw a Viper on a jeep, or any other full sized rig?? Not bad mouthing them, just saying that there is more there than just the WARN name. You don't get to be that big of a brand by selling average products. Anyhow, that's my opinion, and we all know the saying about that.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I went 3500lb this time as well because the 2500 wouldn't cut it last year when winching shanty out etc. Some guys just need more out of their machines then others.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts