Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '09 Spotsman XP 850 and I would like to change out the tires for bigger ones. My only issue is I can't go wider only taller. I know tire sizes are a kind of ratio thing but is it possible to get a slightly taller tire wihout getting wider? If so what would that size be?

Also I would like to hear people's opinions on what brand of tire they recommend for mud bogging, swamps, as well as trail riding.

Thanks for all ya'lls help!

·
Registered
563 Posts
You can use a 9" or maybe 10" in the front and 11" or 12" in the back.I would say Outlaws for mud bogs and the new Maxxis Zilla's(not Mudzillas)for a combo of both or maybe ITP XTR's.There are limited choices in 14".I'm in the same boat as you.The dealer told me only one size bigger on the tires or it voids the warranty.That is kinda BS.So I guess I will try to find 27x9x14 front and 27x11x14 on the rear.I wanted the Zilla's but they dont have 9" and 11" wide tires,so I'll keep looking I guess.The factory tires are terrible in the mud.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah the stock tires have very little traction especially once they get mud stuck in between the studs. I'm gonna try for some 27" tires but I need to be careful going any wider. I can probably get away with 9 and 11 but not much more than that or else it won't fit on my truck then I'll end up having to get a trailer. I like the Zilla's so I'll probably pull the trigger on some of those.

·
Registered
563 Posts
That's the problem I had with the truck.I can ride the Predator up in the bed,but the other ones I cant.I think I have about an inch or so clearance on the Sportsman's.So I bought a small trailer.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah that's all I have is about two inches on either side and that's just cause I have side mounted tool boxes. I'd rather not have to get a trailer for the one atv cause I usually go riding with a friend and we load them on his trailer so I only ferry mine to and from his house.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So does anyone know of a good place to get tires? My issue is no one carries 26x8R14 and 26x10R14. Does anyone know where I can get this size at, along with a good selection of tread design for that particular size?

And if not can anyone tell me the best place to get the package of rims and tires since that's my only other option?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Bighorns

I know the Maxxis Bighorns are not much taller but I do think for all around riding you can't beat them. They're great on the trail and are pretty good in the mud. I'm going to leave the stock tires on for awhile but when we head west next year I'll have the Bighorns on it. Check with Matt at atvoutfitters.net Good prices and free shipping.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok so I was in a dealer the other day talking with him about tires. He said they have a company that they go through where they mount anyones tire on anyones rim (ie: Maxxis Zilla's on ITP SS212's). Does anyone know who that might be and if so is it possible to go just straight through them without involving the dealer?

·
Registered
563 Posts
Did you ask what the cost would be on that deal?Maybe not all but most dealers will "rip you a new one" on tires.:rippedhand: I would buy tires/rims elsewhere and take them to a tire shop or atv/motorcycle shop to have them mounted.You will save $$$

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The deal was actually pretty dern good from the sounds of it. It was 14" ITP SS212 Black on Machined wheels with 27" Maxxis Zillas mounted and ready to be put on for $700. If I had the money I would have bought them right there.

·
Registered
563 Posts
That "is" pretty dern good.Is that lugnuts,center caps and all?

·
Registered
40 Posts
ahh you guys know they make wheel spacers so you can run 10's in the front and 12's in the rear without clearance issues.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah I know they do but I currently carry mine on the back of the truck and with side boxes I already have only about an inch or two on either side and I didn't want to have to buy a trailer to haul it around on so I was trying to avoid that if possible. Haha.

But thanks for the info.

·
Registered
40 Posts
ahh gotcha

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah you should be able to. I saw the same size wheels in a dealers showroom with 27" Zillas on them so I would think so. At least I hope so because that's what I want!!! Haha

1 - 20 of 102 Posts