Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2009 polaris 850 xp,seems to have a clunking noise coming from the rear axel area,anyone have problems with this,of course its out of warranty(time),complaind to dealer once about it already

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Have you checked the belt ? Its right in that area.

·
Registered
174 Posts
belts dont clunk, if it's a clunk, I would first point at the u joints, some clunking is normal when you get on and off the gas while cruiseing, it could be warn out CV joint but not likely for an 09,

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Maybe more info would help? how many miles do you have and what kinda of riding do you do, And when does it clunk.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sounds to me like the classic belt slipping on the rear pully! That would be first thing I change...the drive belt. Its a very cheap and easy part the replace. Worst case...it wasn't the problem, and now you have a new belt installed. But I would start there! It might surprise you! I have a 400 sport, and each time the belt goes...its a clunking vibration that feels like the rear end is falling out. However, if the quad's drive line is not slipping when this is happening, then it is not your belt.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
667 Posts
the rear axles make noise on these , common complaint over on high lifter,guys are getting it covered if you are still under warranty. if you had a complaint about this when you where still under warranty i would call polaris customer service.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Our 08 Sportsman 800 Touring started making this noise that appears to be from the rear as well. I was loading them on the trailer when I first noticed it today. If I lift the rear of the ground and acclelerate to 30 or so I don't hear anything. When on the ground I hear it. I only have a small yard so I can't go to fast but even at 5 mph it sounds like the rear is about to let loose. It onoy has 125 mile on it. Last time out I did get in some deep water but did not notice any noise then. The drain plug for the belt case had no water when I pulled it today. I changed trans oil and no water in that either. Can it still be the belt ?

·
Registered
174 Posts
belts will not clunk, when a belt starts to seperate yes it will vibrate and when the cords start letting go they make a slapping and clicking noise on the cover thats really bad loud and non stop, your either have lash back, whick is normal if you just hear it off and on the gas or if you hear a series of clunks when you take off or some clunks when you get off the gas at low speeds, it's more then likely your rear driveshaft u joint's could also be your front. either way it's a pain in the ass to replace them. you have to take all the bots out of your rear diff to get the back shaft out or loosen the tranny mounts for the rear and you have to loosen the mounts for the front shaft.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If its any consolation my 850xp also clunks. I notice it happens when taking off from a stop after switching gears. Its normal from what I've read on another forum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have an 850 xp as well and am having noise coming from rear end ie "clunking" I have had it to the dealer twice and it's still there because they are trying to tell me its normal.I am just about to change oil for the first time at 25 hours.The noise started soft and is getting worse as time goes by.The first time I brought it in they tried to tell me it was the brake pads and they siliconed them in to eliminate rattling.As soon as I unloaded it at home, it made the noise so I rode the brake to tighten things up but the noise was still there.Then I rode up my driveway and got it rolling,kicked it in neutral and shut it off and coasted and then you could really hear it.There has got to be some ware occering somewhere.I was told that warrenty work done by dealers is covered only in parts not labor is this true?Perhaps that is why they dont want to tear into it.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
And your from the WA state!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Brake pads were siliconed in,also when I hear the noise,I tried riding the brakes to tighten things up but the noise didn't stop

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think it's the cv joints as well but the dealer wont tear them down and look at them until something breaks.The dealership said Polaris won't pay for the labor until something is broken

·
Registered
555 Posts
I have an 850 xp as well and am having noise coming from rear end ie "clunking" I have had it to the dealer twice and it's still there because they are trying to tell me its normal.I am just about to change oil for the first time at 25 hours.The noise started soft and is getting worse as time goes by.The first time I brought it in they tried to tell me it was the brake pads and they siliconed them in to eliminate rattling.As soon as I unloaded it at home, it made the noise so I rode the brake to tighten things up but the noise was still there.Then I rode up my driveway and got it rolling,kicked it in neutral and shut it off and coasted and then you could really hear it.There has got to be some ware occering somewhere.I was told that warrenty work done by dealers is covered only in parts not labor is this true?Perhaps that is why they dont want to tear into it.
Is your dealer giving you this CRAP that it is normal for the clunking sound when there was a recall on axles and that warranty work does not cover labor? Go back to that dealer and ask him in person for Polaris phone number and tell him you are going to repeat what he said to Polaris.

They don't want to "tear into it", because they don't get much FROM POLARIS for the labor when doing the warranty work. Some of the friggin Polaris dealers are as bad as Polaris themselves.

I'd look for another dealer in a hurry!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Ya, I would second that. Take it to a different dealer. Sounds like they are just given you the brush off, rather then addressing your problem.

·
Registered
667 Posts
yes try a different dealer,BUT guys think about this,when you go to a different dealer he made nothing on the sale of the quad or car in my case and companys do pay dealers little for warrenty work,believe me dealers cannot make a living off warrenty work alone. good service can be hard to find but try to get service info before you buy at your chosen dealer.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Good points SNW629. However a new dealer may see an opportunity for a feature sale(s). I also think that any Polaris dealer must honor the warranty... or am I wrong?

Beside, it's tough to determine if a dealer is good or not... until you have a situation that requires the dealers service.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts