Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, i have a 2010 sportsman 550 efi and one day i was riding and the engine light came on"its been coming on since about 2 weeks after i bought it which was back in january" and i was wondering if anyone else had this trouble

Any advise is welcome

im new to this forum

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought a 2011 550 EPS and it is doing the same thing. Mine has ZERO hard use and the light has come up several times under normal riding. Idling through the woods or a small incline. I turn the engine off and start it up again and the light goes away. I have 22 hours on it now and the dealer can't find out what the problem is. ??

·
Registered
503 Posts
For vehicles with EFI, I've often seen comments like, "The dealer doesn't know what's wrong." All dealers are required by Polaris to have the EFI diagnostics equipment. If a bike shows up in their service department with the Check Engine light on, they can read the code the bike's ECM has thrown and have a good idea what the problem is, or at least have a starting point to diagnose it. The ECM resets some codes on startup, so the only problem should be if whatever made the light come on can't be duplicated when the dealer has it. Regardless, If I had an EFI bike that was still on warranty with a chronic Check Engine Light that the dealer couldn't diagnose, I'd press them hard on it as a failure out of warranty will be on your dime. If you're a good troubleshooter, there are service manuals with code descriptions and troubleshooting charts that are well worth the money for anyone with an EFI bike.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought a 2011 550 EPS and it is doing the same thing. Mine has ZERO hard use and the light has come up several times under normal riding. Idling through the woods or a small incline. I turn the engine off and start it up again and the light goes away. I have 22 hours on it now and the dealer can't find out what the problem is. ??
has your bike ever shut off completely in sync with light coming on or stalled to start?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For vehicles with EFI, I've often seen comments like, "The dealer doesn't know what's wrong." All dealers are required by Polaris to have the EFI diagnostics equipment. If a bike shows up in their service department with the Check Engine light on, they can read the code the bike's ECM has thrown and have a good idea what the problem is, or at least have a starting point to diagnose it. The ECM resets some codes on startup, so the only problem should be if whatever made the light come on can't be duplicated when the dealer has it. Regardless, If I had an EFI bike that was still on warranty with a chronic Check Engine Light that the dealer couldn't diagnose, I'd press them hard on it as a failure out of warranty will be on your dime. If you're a good troubleshooter, there are service manuals with code descriptions and troubleshooting charts that are well worth the money for anyone with an EFI bike.
thank you
I will keep on them until they find the ussue

·
Registered
7 Posts
has your bike ever shut off completely in sync with light coming on or stalled to start?
Bike runs perfect. It has never shut off.

·
Registered
29 Posts
On page 41 of your manual:

"The error screen displays only when the CHECK ENGINE light is on or when it goes on and off during one ignition cycle. Error codes are not stored in the gauge when the key is turned off. The code and message is lost, but will reappear if the fault reoccurs after restarting the engine.

If the CHECK ENGINE light illuminates, retrieve the error codes from the display. Please see your Polaris dealer for all major repairs.
1. If the error codes are not displayed, use the MODE button to toggle until “Ck ENG” displays on the main line of the display.
2. Press and hold the MODE button to enter the diagnostics code menu.
3. Record the numbers displayed in the gear position (if any), clock and odometer displays.
4. Press the MODE button to advance to the next error code.
5. Press and hold the MODE button to exit the diagnostics code menu.
6. See pages 48-51 for code definitions and failure descriptions. Please
see your Polaris dealer for all major repairs.
Codes are NOT stored in the bike if ignition is turned off.

·
Registered
29 Posts
No problem. My previous quad threw up the check engine light and I had not yet read that tidbit in the owner's manual either. Now my manual lives on the ATV in a ziplock bag just for that purpose.

Good luck,

·
Registered
503 Posts
No problem. My previous quad threw up the check engine light and I had not yet read that tidbit in the owner's manual either. Now my manual lives on the ATV in a ziplock bag just for that purpose.
Great information! I have an '07 service manual that has an EFI code chart and a procedure for retrieval, but obviously things have progressed considerably since then. Thanks!

·
Registered
29 Posts
According to my 2011 manual (page 50), that is the Vehicle Speed Signal, Speed Too High. Did you happen to push the ATV in neutral while it was running? I have generated that code before by pushing the ATV out of my shed in Neutral while it was warming up....

Kinny

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As a matter of fact yes lol
I started it and I was letting it idol and I pushed it out my shed and I went ride it a little while and when I came I put it in neutral and it threw the code.

·
Registered
29 Posts
It seems kind-of silly to throw a code for that condition, but it certainly will. Glad it was something simple.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts