Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking to buy a new 1000 S and got this from the salesman........ Can't register it in Wisconsin to ride on the trails.......WTF

1000S.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,904 Posts
Well, it's too wide! And doesn't qualify as a side by side so there can't be an exception to the 50" rule. Not WTF, it has been in the DNR rules for years. I really think Polaris is aiming the S models for other than Wisconsin and other states that have a 50" width rule.... Not even sure what the purpose is.

·
Premium Member
7,667 Posts
Ok so can you register in another state and ride the trails??? My thoughts are if I wanted to come to Wisconsin to ride wouldn't my NY regy be sufficient??? If it is then an out of state regy should work for you.

·
9,405 Posts
Ok so can you register in another state and ride the trails??? My thoughts are if I wanted to come to Wisconsin to ride wouldn't my NY regy be sufficient??? If it is then an out of state regy should work for you.
I'd seriously doubt it bp.

·
Premium Member
7,667 Posts
Why not??? Why would you doubt it!! I can ride in other state(s) and state land with my NY regy when a registration is required.

·
9,405 Posts
Well... First, I think the OP must be a Wisconsin resident so I don't think it would be legal for him to try to register it out of state for use in his state of residence. Everybody would do it if that were the case and Wisconsin would not get the revenue from registration and taxes... If I know anything about state governments I know they ain't gonna let that happen!
Second, no matter where it was registered that won't change the fact its too wide to legally run on 50" trails.

·
9,405 Posts
Which states? NY must have a reciprocity agreement with that state. I know for sure you won't run LEGALLY in Tennessee or Colorado unless you have their sticker. Others may be different.

·
Premium Member
3,904 Posts
Correct, I have to register my machines in Wisconsin if it want to ride there. We had to get registration from Tennessee and Michigan. And Hatfield McCoy too. My out of state Resident Wisconsin registration is 33 bucks for 2 years. Illinois is only $11 per year but you can only get the sticker at an IDNR supporter ridding location

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
Why not??? Why would you doubt it!! I can ride in other state(s) and state land with my NY regy when a registration is required.
Nope and your out of state conceal carry license is not legal in IL - my IL CCL is recognized in all bordering states (Missouri does not require a permit), but my daughter's Wisconsin CCL is not legal in IL and she can't get an IL permit. Although the Illinois Firearm Concealed Carry Act intended to issue licenses to non-residents, the way the law is interpreted, only residents of Hawaii, New Mexico, South Carolina and Virginia are currently able to obtain them. And that is after paying an application fee of $300, which is twice the fee for residents. Until there is a legislative “fix” to the law, no other non-residents will have the ability to get an Illinois license.

IL does not have a helmet law, but cross the river into MO and you better have a helmet or push your motorcycle!

Wouldn't it be nice to have a national reciprocity act?

·
Premium Member
7,667 Posts
Ok so a lot of noise and bait and switch out of polman and more so LATEbird. i can register my machine in other states. Second my NY regy works in other states. Third for LATE to the punch old BIRD he can't register his ATV as an ATV. Obviously he can't ride the machine, in theory on 50" trails but he could ride it on larger gated or regulated trails ie SxS trails if it is registered, at least thats what it sounds like.

·
9,405 Posts
LOL... calm down bp. I'm not really sure what you northern guys have to go through to ride. From what I can tell there's too many BS restrictions and regulations up that way for me to even consider coming that direction to ride.
I'm not sure how you can legitimately register a atv, car, boat or any other machine in a state where you don't live but if you say it can be done I have no personal knowledge or information to dispute it.
I do know I can't go to Tennessee to register my car unless I give them a Tennessee address where I say I live... and that ain't legit cause I don't live there.
In just recent years, Kentucky passed legislation requiring out-of-state trailer/camper dealers to send the registration documents directly to a Kentucky resident purchaser's home County Clerk in Kentucky so it's registered for taxing and/or licensing purposes. The KY purchaser has no say in the matter and no input in the process. It is sent directly from the dealer to your home county clerk. Boats, atv's, motorcycles and any other taxable personal property is the same. KY is often behind the curve in such matters but state governments ain't gonna miss out on that tax money once they become aware of it!! I'm sure those northern states have something similar and probably have had for years.
Heck, I've now got ebay sellers from California to NY to TX charging me KENTUCKY sales tax on purchases! There's no getting away from them lol. They WILL get their cut on EVERYTHING if they can!

·
Premium Member
7,667 Posts
Listen polman I know you don't have a clue as to what we are speaking on. So I don't know why you are even commenting. You just admitted to it, lol.

It started as a simple question to the OP and you a LATEbird have to give your two cents. I mean I get it, it is the internet. But idk I guess I expect more out of you two knuckle heads.

So I'm going to say this again, OP if under the current rules you can't register your ATV in Wisconsin it my be possible to run an out of state registration on your ATV so that you can ride legally in Wisconsin. My contention is Wisconsin would allow that because if they didn't then only those with Wisconsin registrations could run Wisconsin state controlled trails. To me that doesn't sound likely.

·
9,405 Posts
Correct, I have to register my machines in Wisconsin if it want to ride there. We had to get registration from Tennessee and Michigan. And Hatfield McCoy too. My out of state Resident Wisconsin registration is 33 bucks for 2 years. Illinois is only $11 per year but you can only get the sticker at an IDNR supporter ridding location

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Doing a little rereading and I think we are getting some of the terminology mixed up.
I'm not sure what you guys have up north, but "registration" in KY means the atv, car, trailer, boat, motorcycle or whatever it is, is "registered" in the county clerk's office where you live for property tax and licensing purposes. These other states of which I speak (CO, TN, VA, etc.) require the purchase of a "permit" or land use sticker to legally ride on public land in their state. KY is currently working on such a permit/land use sticker requirement but doesn't currently have any such requirement.

·
Premium Member
7,667 Posts
I'm talking registering the machine as you would a automobile or trailer etc. As with the state lands I know of the ATV/UTV needs to registered. BUT not necessarily to the particular state in which the riding will be done.

·
9,405 Posts
Listen polman I know you don't have a clue as to what we are speaking on. So I don't know why you are even commenting. You just admitted to it, lol.

It started as a simple question to the OP and you a LATEbird have to give your two cents. I mean I get it, it is the internet. But idk I guess I expect more out of you two knuckle heads.

So I'm going to say this again, OP if under the current rules you can't register your ATV in Wisconsin it my be possible to run an out of state registration on your ATV so that you can ride legally in Wisconsin. My contention is Wisconsin would allow that because if they didn't then only those with Wisconsin registrations could run Wisconsin state controlled trails. To me that doesn't sound likely.
I've got it bp. You do raise an interesting point and the reason we commented is because I thought that's what we did here... discuss things? No?
The difference is terminology. When I go to CO or TN to ride, I DO NOT "register" my machine there. I simply buy a land use permit and get a sticker to put on the machine to signify that I have done so and am legal to run on that state's trails for the season. That permit/land use sticker is ONLY good for that state... NOT any other state.
If you can use a NY "registration" in NH, NJ, MI, PA and other states to legally ride on their public lands then there MUST be some sort of reciprocity agreement between those states to recognize each other's "registration". Same thing latebird was talking about with the concealed carry. Unless I'm bad fooled, your NY "registration" ain't worth the paper its printed on for riding in TN or CO or VA and won't be in KY either very soon if the legislation now being considered is passed.

·
9,405 Posts
Now, one thing that I have not mentioned yet, is that you ARE supposed to have your title, registration receipt, or certificate of origin (whichever the case may be in your particular state) on you at all times while in the states I mentioned above to prove ownership of the machine.

·
9,405 Posts
I suppose if the OP wants to buy his machine in WI and then get a "registration" in another state and they'll issue him a sticker and if WI will recognize that sticker or document from the other state then he'll be good to go. But he'd be taking a $14,000 gamble on a machine he may not be able to ride in WI unless he does his research first to determine if that'll work. I would think you'd have to offer proof of ownership and residency to "register" a machine in a particular state? You don't have to in order to get a land use permit and sticker in the states I'm familiar with but again, I don't know about up there in the great white north lol.

·
Premium Member
3,904 Posts
I think we have confusion about the term REGISTRATION. in the original post, I took it as the OHV registration required by the state of Wisconsin for any vehicle Snowmobile, ATV and UTV using the off road public trails. An off road vehicle can not be licensed for legal street driving in Illinois or Wisconsin. But it can and must be registered with the state DNR for use of any of the Public off road trails. It can be registered with DNR for private property use only, in state resident and out of state resident.

My point was that Wisconsin and all the states I have been in do not recognize OHV registrations from any other state. Wisconsin might issue a title for the vehicle to prove ownership....Illinois does. But the OHV registration is different. In the case of the OP, he will not legally be able to ride on any of the Wisconsin Public trails without the Wisconsin OHV registration. Which due to the width is not going to be possible. Polaris sells a couple Rzr models that are wider than allowed by Wisconsin also. 72" wide S models in a 2 and 4 seat configuraton. Private property is another thing. Even a dual purpose motorcycle titled and licensed in Wisconsin needs the OHV registration to be able to use the public off road trails.

·
Registered
772 Posts
bp when you ride in NH do you register it in NH or use your NY registration? Is there a temp pass available in NH?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts