Polaris ATV Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,667 Posts
So like I said registration as far as the OP is concerned is only to ride "Wisconsin state land". He doesn't need a regy to ride "in" Wisconsin just state owned property. I'm willing to bet the machines in Wisconsin are titled and can be registered but don't have to be. So again my theory is register the ATV in a state the "WILL" register it since Wisconsin won't. If and only if Wisconsin will accept that registration to make riding their State land legal. That's as simple and/or complicated as it is in my eyes. I going to say Wisconsin will recognize the out of state registration because again in my eyes if they didn't then someone that wanted to ride there would have to get a Wisconsin registration. That just doesn't make sense to me.

Sprotsman NH gives you out of state permits, either whole year or 10-day.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
OK, I live in Wi and want to buy this ATV from a Wi Dealer, so I spent time on the phone today with the Wi DNR and found out that as a Wi Resident I will NOT be able to register or ride this ATV on any public or state owned trails in Wi. My brother that lives in Illinois or any other state could buy this same ATV machine from either a Wi or Illinois dealer, register it in Illinois or their state of residence and just buy a trail pass for Wi and legally ride this 55" wide ATV in Wi on any public or State owned trails all year long.

Again WTF.....

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
See attached link, at the top of page 13 it's clear that an ATV MUST be under 50" wide to be REGISTERED in Wi by its legal owner. Yes, if the same ATV in question is REGISTERED in any other state by its legal owner, it can be operated on any Wi State trails with the purchase and display of a limited time or yearly Wi trail pass.

Ownership for REGISTRATION is defined in Wi as to where your permanent residence is located where your mail is delivered.

P.S. Don't show the Warden your Wi Drivers Licence proving Wi residency, and then show him the ATV REGISTRATION with your name on it from another state......

The ATV in question can be purchased by a Wi Resident REGISTERED in Wi and operated only on private property in Wi

https://dnr.wi.gov/files/PDF/pubs/le/LE0500.pdf

·
Premium Member
3,904 Posts
In Wi DNR stands for............ Dam Near Russia
Much better than Illinois as far as ATV/UTV. We can't do shit with em down here....."It's too dangerous to have them on the roads"...at least thats the BS from the state police and Illinois Sheriff's assn. And the tree huggers get in the way of a trail system. Not sure how Wisconsin and other states have done it for decades and we are too stupid or stubborn to copy what they do.

So every year I spend a hundred bucks or so to register all of mine with Wisconsin DNR and travel north to spend my money.

·
9,405 Posts
I should have just looked at the WI regs FIRST instead of trying to guess at what they actually say.
Here's a link below to the regs and other Wisconsin OHV info. Apparently there is a loophole of sorts the OP might use but its still not really legit. Even the non-resident owner using a non-resident trail pass may be iffy since the 55" machine DOES NOT meet the statutory definition of either an "ATV" or a "UTV"
Here's some things copied from the regs the OP better consider:

Wisconsin law ss 340.01(2g) [exit DNR] defines an all-terrain vehicle as a commercially designed and manufactured motor-driven device which has a net weight of 900 pounds or less, was originally manufactured with a width of 50 inches or less

ATV and UTV dealers are required to submit registration application to the DNR within 5 days after the date of sale and furnish the buyer with a validated (i.e. signed by dealership) registration receipt.

Nonresidents who keep their ATV or UTV in Wisconsin must register their ATV or UTV in Wisconsin.

Valid for use exclusively on private lands owned by the applicant or by an immediate family member. (ss 23.335(1)(j)[exit DNR] [exit DNR] “Immediate family” means persons who are related as spouses, who are related as siblings, or who are related as parent and child.)

·
Premium Member
7,667 Posts
OK, I live in Wi and want to buy this ATV from a Wi Dealer, so I spent time on the phone today with the Wi DNR and found out that as a Wi Resident I will NOT be able to register or ride this ATV on any public or state owned trails in Wi. My brother that lives in Illinois or any other state could buy this same ATV machine from either a Wi or Illinois dealer, register it in Illinois or their state of residence and just buy a trail pass for Wi and legally ride this 55" wide ATV in Wi on any public or State owned trails all year long.

Again WTF.....

Ok well you got to the bottom of it!!! You asked the right questions or at least the ones I would have, lol. That is BULLSH!T though about an out of state resident getting treated better then the resident, go figure!!!

Hey and pay no attention to that bit of bickering on my part. I'm half Sicilian and have a flare up here and there. Polman and Latebird are good dudes and very knowledgeable, they've forgotten more then I know!!! Those two remind me of the older wiser fellows on the job that know their shit!!

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
polman500.... you thought anymore about doing HMT with us this year?

·
9,405 Posts
Oh brother... "I'm half Sicilian..." No wonder we connected a while back bp. One of my best old friends is 1/2 Sicilian from Virginia and I'm a Scots-Irish descended Kentucky hillbilly. We used to get into some pretty lively discussions back in the day. I was always right but he'd never admit it lol.
Learn something new every day on here!

·
9,405 Posts
polman500.... you thought anymore about doing HMT with us this year?
FPD, I'm sure gonna try to get free to come over and meet you guys and ride a couple days.
I'm only about 130 miles from Matewan. Used to court a young school teacher from over there. :p
March 29-April 3 correct? I won't know for sure till closer to that time.
I'll probably have a couple guys with me and we'll stay in the toy hauler so don't worry about lodging for us.

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
Yes on the dates, arrive on Sunday. Awesome!

·
Premium Member
7,667 Posts
Oh brother... "I'm half Sicilian..." No wonder we connected a while back bp. One of my best old friends is 1/2 Sicilian from Virginia and I'm a Scots-Irish descended Kentucky hillbilly. We used to get into some pretty lively discussions back in the day. I was always right but he'd never admit it lol.
Learn something new every day on here!
Haha there you go that's it!!! Ive got the hot under the collar Sicilian flare up and you're a feisty Scot!!!

21 - 33 of 33 Posts