Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a thread about this sometime back but wanted to revisit it. I've added a tall windshield to my quad which has made ALL the difference in blocking the wind. The main reason for adding it is around here most of the decent trail riding requires a highway ride. Highway rides at anything over 35 mph on this quad get pretty squirrely. The bike kinda twitches for lack of a better term. Has anyone else had this experience and if so, what did you do about it. I seem to recall it had something to do with too much air pressure in the tires?

Thanks for any input.
Scott

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
most of us can ride wide open on the highway, give it more gas and take control of the quad , !!!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
the original poster needs to travel paved roads to get to trail system, he just has to get used to quad ,

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the original poster needs to travel paved roads to get to trail system, he just has to get used to quad ,

https://youtu.be/Fe-9Pk7ChOA
Thank you. You are exactly right. And I started doing just that a little while ago and here's what I found: I need to stop trying to correct every little twitch or tiny movement of the quad and just let it kinda float back and forth. I made the analogy of flying a light aircraft: You take a kind of lighter grip and just keep the overall direction where you want it and dont sweat the small stuff. Works like a charm.

I hope this may help others who had the same experience.

Scott

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I posted a thread about this sometime back but wanted to revisit it. I've added a tall windshield to my quad which has made ALL the difference in blocking the wind. The main reason for adding it is around here most of the decent trail riding requires a highway ride. Highway rides at anything over 35 mph on this quad get pretty squirrely. The bike kinda twitches for lack of a better term. Has anyone else had this experience and if so, what did you do about it. I seem to recall it had something to do with too much air pressure in the tires?

Thanks for any input.
Scott
Adjust your shocks and stiffen them up a bit. Raise your tire pressure and that should help a bunch.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts

https://youtu.be/Fe-9Pk7ChOA
Thank you. You are exactly right. And I started doing just that a little while ago and here's what I found: I need to stop trying to correct every little twitch or tiny movement of the quad and just let it kinda float back and forth. I made the analogy of flying a light aircraft: You take a kind of lighter grip and just keep the overall direction where you want it and dont sweat the small stuff. Works like a charm.

I hope this may help others who had the same experience.

Scott
glad u got what i was trying to say,
same goes for bumps and ruts, adjust your suspension properly for your weight and average speed travelled and u will be able to coast over alot of bumps ect. without having to let go of throttle all the time and having the front of your quad dipping none stop which will improve ur day on trail.
We ride at a quicker pace so i have my front suspension set stiff and rear softer so my body doesnt get beat up all day,

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Adjust the toe, I bought a new 1000 xp touring and the toe was off from the dealer. I adjusted and no more shifting side to side on the trail.
1. How do I adjust the toe and where?

2. How do I adjust the shocks? I see where the sleeve is to adjust but it seems pretty impossible to twist it? Should it be jacked up?

Thank you,
Scott

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Adjust the toe, I bought a new 1000 xp touring and the toe was off from the dealer. I adjusted and no more shifting side to side on the trail.

2. How do I adjust the shocks? I see where the sleeve is to adjust but it seems pretty impossible to twist it? Should it be jacked up?

Thank you,
Scott
Yeah jack the machine up and I always use a set of large channel locks or vice grips and adjust one click at a time. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
8 Posts

Thank you,
Scott
Yeah jack the machine up and I always use a set of large channel locks or vice grips and adjust one click at a time. Good luck and keep us posted.
put the handle bars dead balls straight, take some string and tie to rear of 4 wheeler ( on each side of the tow hitch). Run string along both sides of machine at mid tire level and tie to a car jack beyond the front tire. Line up the string so its just touching the rear tires sidewall and measure front tire to see if the front of the front tire is 1/4 to 1/2 out more than the back of the front tire. Loosen tie rod nuts and turn tie rod to adjust toe out then re tighten tie rod nuts when its within specs.
you tube it , many videos on the subject.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I put the Fox podium shocks on mine and it helped a ton. The OE shocks and springs are too soft and teh machine just wallows all over the place.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I put the Fox podium shocks on mine and it helped a ton. The OE shocks and springs are too soft and teh machine just wallows all over the place.
My 2017 XP1000 Touring stock shocks are stiff as hell. Couldnt imagine stiffer. My shocks came stock adjusted on the softest setting....I found that tire pressures were key to handling: >9, twitched all over with every road undulation; <8, much less twitching and better control.

·
Registered
534 Posts
My 2017 XP1000 Touring stock shocks are stiff as hell. Couldnt imagine stiffer. My shocks came stock adjusted on the softest setting....I found that tire pressures were key to handling: >9, twitched all over with every road undulation; <8, much less twitching and better control.
Maybe so but there's more to shocks than spring rate. Insufficient Low speed damping makes them unstable.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Why don't you try the recommended 7 psi?
LOL... yep, 6 psi like I run is even better for a little smoother ride.
Yes, that's what I'm running at. As you said, the ride is a wee bit softer, important to me on some of the trails around here...

As far as the comment about spring rate & instability, I never put myself or my equipment in a situation where that would come into play.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts