Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've traced an annoying rattle to the heat shield over the muffler. adjusting the spring (there's only one, shown) to fit tighter against another metal support which reduced the amount of rattle only to times when i'm slowing down and engine vibration is increased.

my questions are what the heck is the spring for, and can i remove it? and maybe try tightening the bolts holding the heat shield on?

scott
IMG_1801.jpeg

·
Registered
2017 Sportsmen XP 1000 Touring
119 Posts
Did you confim the heat shield rattle w/o the hitch? Mine rattled terribly with the hitch

·
Premium Member
9,409 Posts
tighten the heat shield clamps.

the spring(s) are holding the muffler to the exhaust pipe.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you confim the heat shield rattle w/o the hitch? Mine rattled terribly with the hitch
interesting that you said that - in messing around down there, i moved the hitch around and it rattled so i took it out. i'll test again today.

·
Registered
2017 Sportsmen XP 1000 Touring
119 Posts
I'm using a 2" hitch. Adapter from Harbor freight. I just move trailers around the yard with it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Take some high temp silicon rubber gasket sealer and run a couple of beads down each side of the spring making sure you get plenty between the coils. Wood will burn!

D

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah, i know wood might burn. i was just testing to see if it helped. it wasnt a permanent solution. high temp silicone rubber gasket sealer is a good idea...thank you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts