Polaris ATV Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Sportsmen XP 1000 Touring
140 Posts
Yes your's appears to be different BUT you need to be careful because you need to know where up and down is in the picture. In my picture there's a green porch in the background. In other words, my pictures are on an angle

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
yes, i noticed that right after i sent my reply yesterday. i took the seat off (always fun) and took a test drive. its definitely not the seat. and with it removed, the rattle is louder. and its not that spring cuz i pulled out the piece of wood i had inserted and the rattle didnt change in pitch or frequency..... it really sounds like something is coming in contact with one of the heat shields. if i could just adjust the idle to the point where it makes the noise (without driving around), i could closely inspect back there and i bet i could isolate the cause...

thanks for your time on this....

·
Registered
140 Posts
The only thing I can think of and I'm not sure you'll get a result is blue certain areas see if the blue is on the other side where you put blue or simply take to a expert.. high temp hard rubber just temporally

Blue is contact type blue. You put the blue on one matching partthem together to see where they meet, or if they meet... shows high points. I used it for 15" valves a long time ago. comes in a tube

good luck

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The only thing I can think of and I'm not sure you'll get a result is blue certain areas see if the blue is on the other side where you put blue or simply take to a expert.. high temp hard rubber just temporally

Blue is contact type blue. You put the blue on one matching partthem together to see where they meet, or if they meet... shows high points. I used it for 15" valves a long time ago. comes in a tube

good luck
i will keep u posted.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
ok, a bit of an update...after MUCH diagnostic troubleshooting ,thought and bending up and down, i'm pretty sure the rattle is coming from the right side (looking from rear) of the muffler heat shield. in the attached picture you can see there's only a little more than 1/8" between the shield and the muffler. when the engine hits a certain range of rpm's, it moves the pipe, which moves the muffler which makes contact with the shield. what to do about it, no idea. have a service appt in july.

·
Registered
140 Posts
As a preventative maintenance measure, Suggest you provide the shop or have them use nickel anti-seize on the removed muffler bolts, and have them remove & anti-seize the muffler clean out plug. I've already done it to mine.

Treating the muffler area its part of break-in for my new snowmobile, among other things.

Good Luck

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
thank you-will do....after i sent the above update, i started messing around again and used a small crowbar and large channel locks to very slightly bend the heatshield away from the muffler and it helped partially. how the muffler, which is screwed tight away from the muffler could move to hit the muffler is beyond me...so the mystery remains.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
yes, i know. if you look at the pictures above, you'll see that in place, the shield is very close to the muffler so you cant see in to see if there are marks.
on the heat wrap idea, i dont want to put anything that will make contact with the muffler, ie: fire danger...especially where i live.
bending the shield away from the muffler has helped about 80%.
i'll keep plugging away on it.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts