Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
well since im getting so deep in on this 250 dollar purchase, i figure il make a seperate thread for it, so here it goes!

traded an old shotgun and 250 bucks for a 2006 hawkeye 300 4x4, but it needed some work

first major issue noticed, no front prop shaft or cv joints.:hmmm:

more to come tearing it down to see what i have

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
well got it home, noticed a loud smacking on the clutch side, so we decided to tear the clutch cover off.. the belt was shot:bam:

noticed when i pulled the r/r tire off, the bushings in all the rear suspension is shot..ugh.. anyways ordered the parts i needed for the clutch, so i moved onto removing the diff

had to pull everything off to get the steering shaft loose... terrible design

and here it is..

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
got the diff apart, jeesh wasnt there supposed to be oil in this?

well cage is good, gears are fine, basically needs a cleaning, bearings, and seals, and hopefully be ready to rock and roll

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Nice work bro, good luck with the rest of it

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Very nice......I see you are a Jeep fan as well!

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Projects..... can be fun!!

And by "projects", I really mean... time in the garage - just you, your toy, the radio and a cold one of your choice!

For $250 you can't go wrong, as you could part it out for near double that if it turns out to be a bust!

Good work and good luck on the rebuild.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
looks like a fun little project man, keep us posted! my brother has 2 of these 300 Hawkeyes, they both run very well.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks everyone, its definately a fun project, and im sure as you can see from my photobucket and in the background of the pics, i have lots of fun projects lol,

friday i plan on putting the clutch back together with new rollers and a belt, hoping no more slapping in the clutch area =)

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
keep us posted as the project progresses!

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Looks like a great build and I look forward to watching your progress. Good luck!!

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
here we go, ready to drop it all back into the bike tomorrow

used diff with 700 miles on it-175 bucks
cv axles-0 bucks
brand new prop shaft- 85 bucks

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
boy o boy.. at first i thought it was supposed to be like this.. nope.. they welded washers on it lol

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
^ AH the joys and hidden suprises of used n abused ATV's. It will all be worth it in the end though!!!!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
^ AH the joys and hidden suprises of used n abused ATV's. It will all be worth it in the end though!!!!!
got two good used A-arms coming, bought new bearing carriers for it, and tie rods, so hoping by tuesday to take it for its first ride as a 4x4 in 2 yrs lol:fest06:

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
You'll like it!

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
NICE JOB MAN. Now you know the machine inside and out!!! Looks good!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts