Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using the full Synthetic 0W-40 Amsoil for all around type riding. I just installed a snow plow so I am thinking I will be using the my Magnum a lot harder and running the engine hotter. So I just changer my oil to Amsoil synthetic high performance motorcycle oil 10W-40. I sure hope this isn't a mistake.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Ummmm

look around here, Everyone recommends minimum 5-40, polo is 5-50. I use Polo in summer and Shell's Rotella T6 (full synth 5-40) in winter.

Then winter is coming up, so I don't know where you are but even in central texas it gets cold enough to Need a 5-40 or 5-50. So I'd say don't use a 10-40.

Regardless, Luck! :cowboy:

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
if your machine is in a heated garage for winter you will be ok..if outside or unheated..the 10-40 make have a sluggish start...it will be a bit thicker than a 5-40 weight oil...

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
A definite no on 10W oil. Max 5W even if you live in Equador! Your 0W is the best choice as it will give you the best protection at start up at any temp. Once you engine is warm it's the second viscosity number that counts so at operating temperature a 0W40 or a 10000000W40 will be the same viscosity.

Being crazy with the numbers too make a point. If you think you need something more viscous at operating temp get a 0W50 or 5W50.

50 weight oils are typically not as shear resistant as a 40 so the will quickly become a 40 but they are still good to go!

So let's recap....0W best, 5W just fine, 10W bad for you / good for parts dealers.

Good luck!

·
Registered
426 Posts
If you've already put the oil in, go ahead and run it until your next oil change. We're talking about a small amount of increased wear during cold starts, nothing that's going to destroy your engine. At your next oil change, go back to the 0W-40.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you've already put the oil in, go ahead and run it until your next oil change. We're talking about a small amount of increased wear during cold starts, nothing that's going to destroy your engine. At your next oil change, go back to the 0W-40.

At 12 dollars a quart for oil that is my plan.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
If you lived in Texas or a hotter state I wouldn't worry about but since you live a little further north I would stick with a 0 or 5 weight for start up. I know some guys here in Tx running a 10 and are having zero problems.

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I would not would about it in the least. The AMSOIL 10W-40 motorcycle oil has a pour point -53 degF.
Can you please explain to me how a -53f pour point has anything to do with this being a safe viscosity oil to use in an ATV? I see you are an AMSOIL dealer so please enlighted us.

Pour point is the temperature at which a liquid becomes semi-solid and no longer has any flow characteristics.

Since most of us don't ride at -53f I don't see any relevance. However, at 75 degF a 10W oil is more than twice as thick as a 0W oil which may be relevant (5W somewhere in between).

The first number of a multi-viscosity oil is the most important and the lower the number the less wear at start up. Since 90% of wear is at start up that is where you get your bang for the buck. At operationg temperature a
10W40 and 0W40 are identical so the wear at operating temperature is identical.

Since the highest average temperture in the US is 70.4 degrees f (Florida) it would appear that most of us should lean towards the lowest possible viscosity (a.k.a. 0W or 5W).

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I personally would never run an oil that has a thicker cold temp viscosity higher then the manufactures recommended..... thinner okay (and I do @ Mobil1 0W40 ). A thicker blend at colder temps is asking for engine failure... as it flows at a slower rate starving the engine components of oil for a longer period!!

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I personally would never run an oil that has a thicker cold temp viscosity higher then the manufactures recommended..... thinner okay (and I do @ Mobil1 0W40 ). A thicker blend at colder temps is asking for engine failure... as it flows at a slower rate starving the engine components of oil for a longer period!!
X2 Matthew!

·
Registered
426 Posts
The 0W-40 is actually superior in pretty much every way. If you look at the numbers, the 0W-40 is not only considerably thinner at low temps, it's also slightly thicker at 100°C than the 10W-40. The 0W-40 also has a lower Noack volatility. I'm thinking the 10W-40 is made with primarily group 3 base stocks, and the 0W-40 is made with group 4/5 base stocks.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have to say I don't know very much about oil. The charts with all the numbers just don't mean anything to me. I just though I would go to a heaver oil to plow snow. I can see I was wrong in doing this. At over 12 dollars a quart I am going to leave it this way till my next oil change and at that time I will go back to the 0W-40 oil. The two oils are the same price. I really don't think your engines bearing or cylinder walls are dry when it is started so I sure hope I will be OK for now. I see you are saying the oil pump will pump the thinner oil faster to the rod inserts and I was thinking the heaver oil will stick to them longer.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I have to say I don't know very much about oil. The charts with all the numbers just don't mean anything to me. I just though I would go to a heaver oil to plow snow. I can see I was wrong in doing this. At over 12 dollars a quart I am going to leave it this way till my next oil change and at that time I will go back to the 0W-40 oil. The two oils are the same price. I really don't think your engines bearing or cylinder walls are dry when it is started so I sure hope I will be OK for now. I see you are saying the oil pump will pump the thinner oil faster to the rod inserts and I was thinking the heaver oil will stick to them longer.
All synthetic oils create a nice film on the metal parts but it's not based on viscosity. The problem is a thicker oil will not flow as fast and will create more resistance for the starter to fight.

You should be good until cold weather but don't run a 10W as a standard practice. 0W40 at Walmart is $5 a quart, doesn't get much better than that.

Check out this link...great reading! Motor Oil 101 - Bob is the Oil Guy - Bob is the Oil Guy

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Any Walmart here in NY that I have been in has a very small selection of oil types. They only have oil for cars not for bikes. I have never come across 0W-40 oil in a Walmart. The only two places I have to buy my motorcycle oil is from the Bike dealers or Amsoil dealers. I have looked. I have two ATVs, Two scooters, and a HD road bike and no two bikes take the same oil.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Any Walmart here in NY that I have been in has a very small selection of oil types. They only have oil for cars not for bikes. I have never come across 0W-40 oil in a Walmart. The only two places I have to buy my motorcycle oil is from the Bike dealers or Amsoil dealers. I have looked. I have two ATVs, Two scooters, and a HD road bike and no two bikes take the same oil.
You do not have to run bike oil, an ATV is not a bike and automotive oil is just fine. You can run Mobil 1, Rotella and several others. Mobil 1 is the only 0W40 available in my neck of the woods. If they don't have that run any synthetic brand of 5w40 or 5w50. Lot of guys are having good results with Rotella t6 as well and it comes in a 5w.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You do not have to run bike oil, an ATV is not a bike and automotive oil is just fine. You can run Mobil 1, Rotella and several others. Mobil 1 is the only 0W40 available in my neck of the woods. If they don't have that run any synthetic brand of 5w40 or 5w50. Lot of guys are having good results with Rotella t6 as well and it comes in a 5w.[/QUOTE]

Its odd you say that a ATV isn't a motorcycle. Because I have always put it in the same class as a motorcycle not a automobile. More for mechanical reasons then the number of wheels it has. I guess the question here is what is the different in the two oils, motorcycle or automobile? The cost of the oil? which can cost almost twice as much for a motorcycle then a car.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
you can get Rotella at any tractor supply ..or any farm supply I bet...my quads run so good with this oil...its like 20.00 for a gallon...also the Mobil 1 is a good choice also...but Castrol and valvoline also have those weights and a good oil...amsoil is good also...all my other oils in the quad are amsoil...

·
Registered
426 Posts
You do not have to run bike oil, an ATV is not a bike and automotive oil is just fine. You can run Mobil 1, Rotella and several others. Mobil 1 is the only 0W40 available in my neck of the woods. If they don't have that run any synthetic brand of 5w40 or 5w50. Lot of guys are having good results with Rotella t6 as well and it comes in a 5w.

Its odd you say that a ATV isn't a motorcycle. Because I have always put it in the same class as a motorcycle not a automobile. More for mechanical reasons then the number of wheels it has. I guess the question here is what is the different in the two oils, motorcycle or automobile? The cost of the oil? which can cost almost twice as much for a motorcycle then a car.
The difference is that motorcycles typically have a wet clutch and a shared sump, meaning the engine and transmission share the same oil. These oils carry a spec called JASO-MA, which will be listed on the bottle. Polaris ATVs (with the exception of the Outlaw and Predator) do not have a wet clutch or a shared sump, so a regular automotive oil can be used. (although it certainly doesn't hurt anything to use a motorcycle/ATV specific oil)

For what it's worth, Rotella T6 does carry the JASO-MA spec, and can be used as a motorcycle oil.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
The difference is that motorcycles typically have a wet clutch and a shared sump, meaning the engine and transmission share the same oil. These oils carry a spec called JASO-MA, which will be listed on the bottle. Polaris ATVs (with the exception of the Outlaw and Predator) do not have a wet clutch or a shared sump, so a regular automotive oil can be used. (although it certainly doesn't hurt anything to use a motorcycle/ATV specific oil)

For what it's worth, Rotella T6 does carry the JASO-MA spec, and can be used as a motorcycle oil.
Good to know. I think the Kawi is getting Rotella T6 for the fall service... I'll look at the jug to be sure.
That'll pare me down to two motor oils on the garage shelf. Rotella T6 & VW 505.01 spec stuff for the PD TDI.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts