Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently bought a hardly used 2018 sportsman 450.Changed the oil with the polaris extreme duty oil which was 10w-50 I was told was ok.Fast forward a month and now I'm having foam at the the top of the dipstick,oil level fine.Also no signs of blown head gasket.Is this the oil causing this.?Did I just F up my qaud?

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
No that oil will be fine. Normally what causes the foam is not running it long enough to get it up to operating temperature long enough to burn the acclimated moisture out.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
10,639 Posts
If the weather where youre operating the 450 gets really cold then the 0w-50 will be better to use in the winter. for the other three seasons the 10w-50 will work fine.

Reactions: Tyler1995231

·
Registered
10,102 Posts
Always try to operate for 30 minutes or more after a cold start to vaporize the majority of condensation from the internal metal parts - short periods of operation will increase the amount of water trapped in the oil rapidly regardless of the viscosity index or the oil's foundation (synthetic or mineral) - more frequent oil changes in cold weather operation is advised.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts