Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start off by saying my 800 stays in the garage all the time except when I am going deer/duck hunting and I will load it up on the trailer the night before

A couple weeks ago we had a "gully washer" (about 3-5" of rain) one night and the next day I went to take my Polaris off the trailer so I just rolled it off. Then when I started to drive it to the garage it would not go, like belt was slipping

Well got some advice on here and let it run in neutral for about 20 minutes and rev'd it up a few times and all was well

Used it Friday while hog hunting in heavy mud, rain and all that goes with it and no a single problem

Well since it was so muddy I left it on the trailer Friday night, we were going back Saturday but another "gulley washer" hit early Sat am. Again about 3-4" of rain

Went to unload it today and same thing so while working around the house I let it run for a while and then it was fine

My question is why is this happening, I NEVER had an issue like this with my old 425 Magnum. In fact it NEVER had a belt slip at all

I have not had it in any water to see if that did it but I can not understand how heavy rain would cause this .

Normally when I leave it on the trailer I will cover it up but, still do not understand what is going on

I do have extended warranty on the unit so guess i need to take it and let them check it out but like to see if this is normal or not

·
Registered
862 Posts
Have you checked the clutch vent to make sure it hasent came lose at the joint? Would make sense as the water could get in and flood the clutch.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you checked the clutch vent to make sure it hasent came lose at the joint? Would make sense as the water could get in and flood the clutch.
Where is it located??

·
Registered
862 Posts

The top of the cover, the round tube portion will have a hose and clamp around it. Check there and all the way up to make sure that all the connections are intact and the clamps are tight. Also check the clutch cover bolts are tight.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, will check that tomorrow

·
Premium Member
10,369 Posts
if the vent checks out i would be interested to c if when u pull the clutch drain plug if any water drips out. if it doesn't i would be inclined to believe its a combination of condensation and humidity.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Checked all that and it looks fine after a quick inspection, 2 hose clamps and every thing tight

·
Premium Member
10,369 Posts
yup its the red plastic bolt. u can see it in duck's picture.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
if the vent checks out i would be interested to c if when u pull the clutch drain plug if any water drips out. if it doesn't i would be inclined to believe its a combination of condensation and humidity.
Pulled the drain plug out last night and had several ounces of black/dark looking water run out(3-4 oz i am guessing)

My question is where would this water come from and is this normal

Also is this something I need to check every now and then

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
well..its not normal in the way you explained the rain being the cause...yiu have a way for water to get in some where...or it just rained so hard it found its way in the clutch vent...make sure vent tube is secured..check cover for cracks...check the bolts retaining the cover to see if tight...dont but muscle into them since its plastic...just snug them if any loose....also run the bike for a bit to dry it out in there....

also its dark from prob rubber dust.....

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well..its not normal in the way you explained the rain being the cause...yiu have a way for water to get in some where...or it just rained so hard it found its way in the clutch vent...make sure vent tube is secured..check cover for cracks...check the bolts retaining the cover to see if tight...dont but muscle into them since its plastic...just snug them if any loose....also run the bike for a bit to dry it out in there....

also its dark from prob rubber dust.....

Thanks

Now another dumb question, should I run it with the drain plug out or to dry it out(just around the neighborhood on paved roads) or do I leave plug in and then run it and take it out again

My thoughts were if I leave the plug out and not in dirt or mud it can push any moisture out ???

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will check everything real well this weekend but still bugs crap out of me how it is getting water in there

·
Premium Member
10,369 Posts
U can just run it in neutral for a few minutes with the plug out and that will do it. Well now that u have the case drained u can keep an eye on it and hopefully figure out exactly were the water is coming from. Whether it be the riding or the rain. But definetly chk that the cover bolts are tight.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all your help

1 - 15 of 15 Posts