Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Broke a rear axle this weekend and need some help getting the outer joint apart.

I've tried to read as many threads as I can and didn't see what I need help with. If I missed it somewhere I apologize.

My plan is to get an aftermarket shaft, but for only $42 bucks for the shaft it self, I'd like to rebuild this old one to have as a spare so the kids aren't disappoint like they where this weekend when our riding ended a day early.

My problem is how do I get the outer joint apart to get the retaining clip that is holding the shaft onto the joint. Sure doesn't seem like the ball bearings just come out like they did on the inner joint.

Thanks for the help

Alan

·
Registered
295 Posts
you have to clamp the axle in a vise with something to protect the shaft then take a brass drift and good size hammer and hit on the inner part of the cv joint it will pop right off then you can change or service the clip that holds it in place. if the axle is broke off inside the cv joint you might be able to drill and tap and put a bolt in it to extract it. to take the balls out you have to turn the inner race till the balls pop out might need encouragement to get the first one out.

wayne.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wayne,

That sounds exactly how I got the inner joint (one closest to the gear box) apart. But the outer one (closest to the hub) seems to be set up different. Maybe I'm not seeing it.

Thanks for the reply.

Alan

·
Registered
295 Posts
I had to change a boot on mine on the outer and I gave it a good hit with the brass drift should come off

1 - 4 of 4 Posts