Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some insight. Was riding over the weekend and engine light came on, went off, came on, went off, never come back on. However lo voltage showed up on screen and steadily declined over about an hour until it died...dead, no lights, winch, nothing. So i get it home about 2 hrs later, turn on key and have juice, only 10.4 so wont crank but all accessories work. So battery actually come back to life after sitting a few hours but still wont crank. This is a brand new batt, 1st ride since install. So should I be looking at stator? voltage regulator? I havent taken it apart yet to look at anything, just looking for some info. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Charge batt, start machine, go to diagnostic mode on speedo see what its charging at idle and when revved up some.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update... didnt have meter to check volts but did jump off, while idling display read 10.8 I rode bike around yard for 10 min, shut down for 15 min, it cranked right back up...so i rode another 10-15 min, shut it down let sit 2 hrs, it cranked right back up, never showed low voltage again....sooooo, i dont know! whatever it is I'd like to know so i can fix before next ride.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Update... didnt have meter to check volts but did jump off, while idling display read 10.8 I rode bike around yard for 10 min, shut down for 15 min, it cranked right back up...so i rode another 10-15 min, shut it down let sit 2 hrs, it cranked right back up, never showed low voltage again....sooooo, i dont know! whatever it is I'd like to know so i can fix before next ride.
I had a bad stater/alternator in my 05 400, it was weird because all of the stater legs were shorted to ground but yet when i brought the RPM's up it would still charge the battery, The only way to test that is find the 3 legs of the stater that come up under the cover under the pod and test continuity to an exposed part of the frame. The only real time i noticed it was puttsing though the woods at slow speed and using the winch

·
Registered
164 Posts
I would double ck battery cable bolts again. I put star washers on them to keep them tight. It doesn't take much.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts