Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 16 850xp sp, and have a ride coming up in a week n a half and wanted new tires. Decided on 28" vampire 2 and I have the back 11" wide ones already shipped. But after having orders canceled twice and being told there is a nation wide back order I can't seem to find any 9" ones for the front.. I'm thinking they will Prob rub something but Would I be able to throw 11" on the front too since those seem to be available?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
I have a 16 850xp sp, and have a ride coming up in a week n a half and wanted new tires. Decided on 28" vampire 2 and I have the back 11" wide ones already shipped. But after having orders canceled twice and being told there is a nation wide back order I can't seem to find any 9" ones for the front.. I'm thinking they will Prob rub something but Would I be able to throw 11" on the front too since those seem to be available?

It's up to you being it's your machine, but personally I'd stick with a more narrow tire up front on the steering axles. I had a 08 Arctic Cat 650 I had bought used and the previous owner had put a new set of tires on it all around. It had 12" wide tires in the rear and 10" wide tires on the front steering axle. It looked tough, but it made it harder to steer with those 10" wide tires up front. My plan was to put 8" inch wide tires back up front and move the 10" wide tires to the rear of the machine. I never did do that because I had to sell the Arctic Cat back to the dealership I bought it from, a whole nother story.

Tony

·
Super Moderator
6,957 Posts
10"-11" wide front tires don't handle well. Makes it harder to steer and worse, it wanders all over and follows any little rut in the road/trail. I would advise against it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Damn, guess I'll scratch that idea. Figures last min decision to get vampires instead of mayhems is screwing me

·
Registered
277 Posts
I've got 10.5 inch wide tires all the way around, but, giant mud tires. As stated above, the wide tires in front will take their own route sometimes, not where you are steering, not good for a trail bike....

·
Registered
134 Posts
This is one of the questions I had asked as well.. bout doing the same size tires on all 4 corners. I see that the Yamaha Grizz had gone to same size all the way around, and it looked great. I wasn't sure if that was a good idea or not on the Sportsman 850 SP, of if i should stick with the skinny/wide stock set up.

·
Premium Member
3,606 Posts
What I have seen with all four the same has been narrow width tires on all four corners. Not sure how that affects the handling, but the guy I ride with hasn't complained

·
Premium Member
7,476 Posts
Not a fan of fats in all four corners!!!! Skinnys I can justify/deal with! Just order up a set that you can get in skinny/fat and either return or sell what you have.

·
Registered
455 Posts
What I have seen with all four the same has been narrow width tires on all four corners. Not sure how that affects the handling, but the guy I ride with hasn't complained
This is what I did, handling is unchanged and I think it looks a lot better. Plus I can rotate the tires... :wink

1 - 9 of 9 Posts