Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, My 12 SP 800 went through/burned a little oil over the last little while. I had to add a small amount ~200 mils..I know its not much but it still concerns me a little bit. Quad has 760ish miles, 63 hrs. I looked in the airbox and the filter is clean and there is no oil in there either. The breather line to the valve cover is clean and where the valve cover and breather line meet it was dirty but no oil evident. May have been oily at one time because dirt was on it and no where else on the valve cover area. (suspecting a little oil at new and then dirt got attracted to it) but no oil residue etc. Quad has no oil leaks and runs great. I did lend the quad to my bro-in-law and he drove it like he stole it and at the time it was due for a air filter cleaning but I didn`t do it until I got home. I have 10 hrs before my oil change is due..Does this polaris oil wear out like some other oils causing it to burn No blue smoke or smell of oil burning while driving.

After I added some oil I put 30+ miles on it and the level never dropped a bit.

Any ideas

·
Registered
361 Posts
Maybe a short fill last service. Do you do your own services or the dealership. The dealer did my first service and when I got it back it was 1/2qt low. Glad I checked it. Now I do it myself.

No leaks no smoke it should be good.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thx. Kinda funny you mentioned that but when my last service was done by the dealer, when I checked the oil before a week of quadding it was overfull (checked oil warm). I drained out about about 2-300 mils. I drained it to a good level (can`t remember exactly) Level stayed the same for a while until now..

I asked my dealers tech and he said to check the level cold. How do you check yours

·
Registered
361 Posts
I always check it cold

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
If it doesn't show any signs of a leak or that it's burning it..... I wouldn't loose any sleep over it, but continue to watch it. I'd say it had to do with the dealer change, overfill and removal while warm. All depends on the filter and air in the system/cycle at the time when checked. A tick over the full mark on the dip stick won't hurt a thing..... it isn't rocket science afterall!!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. It may have had to do with checking it hot and thats it. I will watch it closely. I`m due in 10 hrs for another change so I will watch from the start on this one...

·
Registered
164 Posts
Accurate reading. Always ck on flat surface cold.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
The 700's and 800's have been known to use a little oil so I would just keep an eye on it. I had a 700 and it would burn just a little every ride so it wasn't a big deal.

Ronnie

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
You checked it hot, drained 200 ml's: then say its 200 low? Lol i would say the machine is fine! But your oil checking skills are not!

Check it cold, flat surface.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would agree that my checking oil skill are lacking especially when I didn't know to check it cold. Now I know so my skills are improving!!!lol

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Fortunate my 700 doesn't use anything

She is such a workhorse.... I was out pulling some small trees out of ground this morning.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey, just an update..I did my own service at 75 hrs and filled to the full line , cold. It was good until I check it today and at 95 ish hrs, checking it cold and was sitting for a couple weeks, it was at he "D" in add. I added a bit and now its sit on the middle of the safe band. Last big trip in May it was used for a few days straight and some of those hrs were using it pretty hard. (mud holes to hard trail riding and lotsa top end speed) Looks like I'll have to keep a closer eye on it.

Anyone else in the same boat?

·
Registered
962 Posts
Funny you should resurrect this old thread. I'm seriously thinking of changing up my oil to 10w50 or 15w50 if I can find it because my 800 seems to use a lot of the Mobil 1 0w40. I just started a thread bout in the oils & lube section.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
SO, I looking for an opinion on my issue of oil consumption.

Still the same oil (polaris) in there since 75 hrs oil change and now I have reached my interval to change at 125 hrs this past weekend. I was plowing snow and was smelling oil burning and it used approx 150-200 mils in 12-15 miles. I filled it to the safe area and ran for another 35 miles and didn't burn any. Was plowing and trail riding as well.

So here is the question. Do I have a greater issue (rings/ pistons or value seal etc worn) or not? Should I bring it in for leak down check or try new oil (rotella T6 5w40) and monitor it for a few rides?

Looking for opinion here and would like this issue fixed before quaking season hits again.

Let me know

·
Registered
378 Posts
Pull the plugs to see if they are wet. They would be the easiest place to start. The plugs should be a light brown and dry...If black and wet looking then I would have to say you burn oil.... ring and /or valve seals would be the start of the problem.....

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey thx for the reply. I will be doing a full oil change and service next week so I will check them and post back.

Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
962 Posts
My sportsman started doing the same thing with the oil, but I was running Mobil 1 0w-40. Switched to the Rotella T6 and it got better, but still had random oil use. Switched to Mobil 1 5w-50 and haven't had the issue since.

My RZR never liked the Mobil 1 0w-40. It burned it from day one after switching away from the Polaris oil, but it did like Mobil 1 5w-50. I just rebuilt the top end, and switched to the Rotella T6. Hopefully, it'll be good with it. If not, I'll go back to the 5w-50.

My Scrambler runs the Rotella T6 just fine.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey thx for the response. So how long have you ran the 5w50? I have already picked up the rotella and will dump that in this week and test next weekend.

I am still open to options.

Thx

Sent from my i-thingy

·
Registered
962 Posts
About 600 miles. It hasn't used a drop. I think the Polaris "extreme duty" oil is 10w-50, but that will be too thick for you up there. If you can get the needed results with the Rotella T6, I would definitely stay with that. It's a "diesel oil", so it should be fine under the stress of plowing. Luckily, I don't have that issue to worry about, lol

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was looking at the quad last night and when I pulled the air filter out it was clean with a small tiny amount of dust in there. Is that a cause for concern?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts