Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '12 Sportsman 500 HO has 20 hours and 80 miles on it. I was plowing snow last week in -15° but -45° with wind chill. Just as I was finishing up I notice that I have almost no acceleration. Engine revs up fine with no bogging down or missing, but I have almost no acceleration output and it won't go up an incline at all.
Has anyone heard of this or have any idea what it could be? I wasn't able to find anything similar to this in the threads. Any help for a mechanically challenged guy would be appreciated!

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
pull drain plug on clutch to start off..see if any water in there....may have sucked snow in...do you feel the belt slip at all..smell any rubber....

if water in clutch....just run in nuetral a bit to dry it...

if no water your belt may have stretched...did you plow in Hi or low...low is what you want to plow in....

·
Registered
107 Posts
Maybe, with the temps that low, some moisture got into clutch/belt area and created ice which the belt is slipping on?

·
Registered
862 Posts
plowing was fun wasn't it lol i froze my rear off plowing in that crap. sounds like a wet or glazed belt, try draining it first then run it in neutral for a bit and see if it gets better. if not take the cover off and check the belt for damage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I opened the drain plug and there was no water. I took the cover off and there was a pretty good stretch of about 4 inches that was pretty worn. A few smaller spots were worn as well. I've plowed a bit in H instead of L and I think that's been my mistake. I plan on replacing the belt in a day or so. Hopefully that corrects the problem. Many thanks for all the help!
And you're right. It's a blast to plow with this thing!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts