Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I was plowing some snow this weekend and was plowing in low. Several times I went to go from reverse to low and the tranny didnt seem to shift completely into low. The cluster said it was in low but the quad didnt move and the gears sounded like they were grinding. Sometimes it would shift fine, others it would grind a little and then jump into gear, and others I would have to use the shifter to get it into low.

Usually when I ride im in high and never had this problem.

Is there anything I can look for or adjust. I had a quick look at the linkage and all the plastic parts look ok.

Lemme know what you think.

·
Registered
424 Posts
You may have a tendency to want to shift and go too quickly when plowing let the RPM's come down and shift slow and positive; less shock on the system, you can get into a rhythm that the machine doesn't like trying to plow the "damn" snow, been dare dun dat !

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
When is the last time you changed transmission fluid?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey thx for the replies. I may have a tendancy to shift to soon...That is defently what happened sometimes. But also it happened just after I backed it off the truck..so I may not be in gear perfectly. All that being said, I had the pod covered to protect the headlight from rocks on the drive home, so when I backed it off, I couldn't even see if low was on the cluster or not...Felt like it was in gear though...:duh:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry for the double post but to answer the other question, the tranny fluid is due now for its 50 hr change...wrench light came on while I was away..it was set for a 50 hr interval

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
There is some adjustment on the shift arm to find tune it to be in gear with the indicator in the right place. Sounds like that's all you need is a little tweak.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does anyone know how to adjust this?

Sent from my i-thingy

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I'm not sure if your machine works exactly like mine....but I step on the foot brake and that stops the shaft thru the tranny from spinning and eases the shifting from reverse to low/forward.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Not sure on the 2012 800 is the rod from the shift arm/lever to the transmission have a threaded part and a lock nut on it? or is it a solid rod? if so (solid) there is no adjustment for it. Also I'm not sure as suggested that there is any connection of any type from the foot brake to the transmission the only thing that I am aware of is a detent lock into park or into high range, the brake cannot stop the transmission from spinning.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thx for the replies. I don't think there is a adjustment on the rod. Look solid to me

Sent from my i-thingy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts