Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went riding this past weekend at Wolf Pen Gap in Arkansas, the terrain is mountain climbing with dirt and rocks, it was dry so there was lots of dust average speed was around 15 mph in low. After riding for sometime I noticed that my cooling fan was not turning off and with the trail rule being you have to have headlights on this was causing my battery light to come on, i shut down and battery was dead had to jump it with another battery. So my question is it normal for the fan to run that much when its that dusty because it was drawing some juice and since it went dead once i was paranoid the rest of the weekend. Any advice would be awesome just want to make sure nothing is wrong.

FYI my normal riding is wooded areas with mud and open areas so i tend to have a higher speed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
additionally once i got it started and turned the lights off the battery did charge back up, just wanted to clarify

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I was there this weekend too. Dust was horrid. I rinsed the radiator out on both the water cooled quads. Mine because I felt the fan was running more than it should. I don't think it should have killed your battery though. I ran with my 18 watt flood on, instead of my headlights.

Put a hose to the radiator and see how dirty the water that comes off is.

Anyhow, wish that rain that happened Sunday night, had come through a lot sooner. Would have been a lot nicer without the dust.

Sean

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i didnt think it killed the battery that was my own fault for not paying attention to warning, just thought it was odd for the fan to be running to be running the whole time. That happened the first day, so when i would see warning i would just turn lights off to let it charge. No issues though cleaned it al out yesterday everything appears to be normal, that was my first time riding in conditions like that so wasnt expecting that.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
My wife's is a 2011 x2 and they drove 2 up on it all day Saturday with the three headlights on.

I think your charging system might be weak, unless you were doing a lot of idling with it.

Might want to check your battery connections and make sure they are tight.

Sean

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wasnt idling but i may not have had enough RPMS to get the charge going, the battery did charge when we got back to camp and cleaned out radiator the fan shut off and it charged just fine, but i think i am going to check battery volts off and running just to be sure

1 - 6 of 6 Posts