Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, first time thread poster here hope this works. I recently received a Polaris Rear Rack Extender # 2878672.
Problem I'm having is that I believe I'm missing hardware. I've got the 2 bolts that are at each extremity of the rack that bolt from the bottom up. But no hardware that bolts the rear section that goes from the top down. This was a xmas gift from a family member that lives nearly 800 kms away. My local dealer is telling me that I cant buy the hardware and I need to purchase a whole new rack and that I most likely wont find these bolts a any hardware store. Well I'm not willing to spend $135.00 for 2 bolts. Does anybody know if these are standard bolts or is there anything special about them ? If anyone has specs on these that be great.
Thanks.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Polaris does not make bolts, they buy them too. Surely you can find them. I see it's a metal extender. Can't you take it into a hardware store to match it up some hardware?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand polaris doesn't make the hardware but like any other manufacturer such as BRP, Kawasaki or Honda. When purchasing accessories they come with instructions that also include a hardware list with hardware part numbers and description. Unfortunately this rack didn't. As for matching hardware I would but the bolt threads into the plastic back rack and the bolt that was in that location originally is tapered at the tip and kinda has a notch in it. But with the rack extender in place that bolt is to short. I can always remove the plastic back rack and try and have the threads matched but I've recently had surgery on my knee due to a ruptured acl so my mobility at the moment isn't all that great. I can always wait till spring to figure it out.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
12,058 Posts
ok so take the original bolt to the hardware store and match up the thread count and pitch. the bolt u need for ur rack is 2" long.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya I can do that. Do you recall if the bolts that came with the rack extender were like the bolts that are originally in the plastic rack, with the tapered and notched tip? Or were they just straight standard bolts that bottomed out as far as they went in the plastic rack before the taper?

·
Premium Member
12,058 Posts
they are tapered and notched, that's for ease of threading. since the holes have already been taped u can go with a standard bolt.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Perfect. Thank you very much I appreciate all the info.

·
Premium Member
12,058 Posts
anytime.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The instructions for my front rack extender list all of the bolts as M6. I'm guessing they used the same size in the rear. You can start there and see if that works.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
A "thread forming or self tapping" (tapered & notched) of the appropriate size should work..... take a look in McMaster-Carr!! Or the "specialty bolt bin" at the local hardware store.... finding a black one will be the hardest part!!! :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts