Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought this 2013 and it ran great until I go it home of course. I did buy it used so problem is now mine unfortunately. Rough idles and when I try and ride it the thing just falls on its face. I thought it was the tps. Got new tps in yesterday and went to install it. I have a tps inline adjuster that I bought that helps you adjust the position correctly. I could never get the new or the old tps to the correct voltage that it needs. So I am guess there is something else wrong before the tps causing the tps to not get the correct reading. I have put new plugs in and difference. I have taken IAC off cleaned it and actually swapped it with another one and no difference. I have taken tmap off and cleaned and reinstalled it, no difference. What am I missing here? Running very rich, bad hesitation. Oh and I have adjusted the throttle cable making no difference. I get a 520 194 7 code, Throttle Release Signal - Throttle Stuck is the description. I have a 09 with exact same throttle body. I swapped the throttle bodies and exact same issue, to differences. Any help would be appreciated. TIA, Ultra

Uploaded video of what it is doing to youtube.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Did you replace the Champion plugs with NGK? A lot of guys run a hotter NGK plug to alleviate fouling(if that is indeed your problem). Do you let your machine idle for extended periods of time?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dealer installed new plugs in front of me before I purchased. I don't even have 1 mile on this unit since I purchased it used. I did pick up some NGK Iridium plugs yesterday from Napa but haven't put them in yet as I didn't think they would make a difference since dealer had installed the new plugs and less than 30 mins on them.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I couldn't tell in vid but the contacts for the etc should not be touching at idle or better to say when not touching throttle they should have slight gap. If they were or are touching you can foul plugs quickly cause it triggers stuck throttle and stops spark.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes contact for both throttle bodies have contacts touching while at idle. Anyone have a video on how to correct adjust cable then?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
215 Posts
I should preface this with what I run is an 800 sporty. My manual talks about using the adjuster in the cable and making sure there is about an eight inch between contacts when not touching throtle.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Maybe you could search etc adjustment for Xp and find something

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll read service manual section again. Thought it said 1/8 in between the stops. Think the contacts were closed though.

·
Registered
215 Posts
If they are closed it cuts out spark and plugs can foul rapidly. So get that adjusted and if not better than pull plugs and change.

sent from my S4

·
Registered
215 Posts
There should be an adjuster in the throttle cable to make that adjustment.

sent from my S4

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ya I played with it last night. Adjusted the stop but at all times contacts were touching. On both throttle assemlies I tried. Will Google it up and try readjusting again tonight.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I read manual again and it states that the contact should I be closed touching at idle.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I hope some one with an Xp chimes in for you soon. I found a manual for a 2011 850 and it called out 2mm gap on the etc switch but stated something about something else should be touching at idle. If you were to put a wire tie in as a spacer temporarily between 2 metal contacts and then try to fire it up and see how it behaves. Forums state as cable stretches the etc can get out of adj and contacts touch and then goes into a limp mode

·
Registered
420 Posts
Good video ! But I wish I could give you the solution. :gruebel:

Actually the way it hesitates, it sounds like it is running lean at idle. Idle sounds like its running on one cylinder. You could test that by pulling one ignition wire at a time.

Here are my best guesses:

- vacuum leak.
- intake or exhaust valve leaking or sticking. Possibly in only one cylinder. Check compression.
- Idle speed stepper motor. Not responding to ECM.

I'm pretty sure the throttle cable is not the problem.
I think its time to hook it up to Digital Wrench at a good dealer.

·
Registered
141 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Run Rough

When I adjusted the throttle slack, I turned adjuster by handle bar until all of slack was removed from throttle cable and throttle stop was touching and loosen cable adjuster 2 turns and tightened jam nut and no check engine light since. Try that and change spark plugs. 850 needs to idle and warm up before touching throttle they can foul plugs.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I reread the op first post saying he couldn't get tps set to correct voltage. That is where I would start first. If tps voltage Is not set right at idle. The a/f ratio and timing will be wrong.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
2nd tps coming tomorrow. 1st one the spring was sprung so had to send it back for replacement. Got new Iridium plugs to put in it as well. Will update hopefully this weekend with good news.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 66 Posts