Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have a 2013 Sportsman 850LE that is having some idling problems. When I start it up the RPMs go to about 1850 and then come down to 1100. After a couple seconds it will just die. I read some posts on here that said it could be the IAC (Idle Air Control). The odd thing is that it if I disconnect my battery the it seems to work fine. I took it to the local dealer and they said that it was my throttle cable needed to be adjusted. $90 later that is... I rode it for about a half an hour and the same problem occurred. I really don't want to spend money at the dealer if it something I can fix myself.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Bruce.

Ridinagain - would that still apply if it seems to be fine after I reset the battery? I rode it today for about 25 minutes and it seems ok. I did adjust the throttle a little bit along with the battery reset.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, I just replaced the plugs with 26 dollar ones. I started it up after disconnecting the battery. My light was gone and it sounded a lot better. Took the trash cans up to the top of the driveway and the light came back on. It does it when I decelerate. Then when I let it settle it goes away.

I need to find a service manual!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update:

Now I think I may have found the issue. I traced back my throttle cable to see where it enters the throttle body. I took off the cover and noticed there is an adjustment screw. I loosened the nut, and then the screw inside. It didn't seem to make much of a difference in the throttle cable play. However, I turned the key to the *on* position and my check engine light was on. I pulled the throttle a little bit and it went away.

So here's my theory:

1) When the contacts inside the throttle housing on the bars is closed, the TPS (throttle position sensor) is still saying it's open. Thus, putting the quad into limp mode because the throttle may be stuck.

2) When I push the throttle to the point where the contacts open, the computer now sees that both the throttle and TPS are showing that the throttle is being pushed.

If I am correct, then it would be my TPS not the throttle cable itself.

Anyone have any other ideas?

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'm having same issue on my XP. New tps should be here Friday and I'll let you know if that fixes issue.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm having same issue on my XP. New tps should be here Friday and I'll let you know if that fixes issue.

Thanks Ultra, please do!

·
Registered
333 Posts
funny, my Scrambler 850 is running like shit. I have to give it some throttle to even get it started. After about three minutes with throttle, I can finally let it sit, but it idles like crap.
Dealer says i have terrible compression.

·
Registered
152 Posts
K will try new plugs in mine tomorrow. Picked up the Iridium ngks. That air mixture screw on throttle body may very well be part of problem. I notice that when I got it that it has already been messed with. Factory marks on it are moved. Does anyone know how to set it? All I've seen is that it is not to be touched set at factory.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

·
Registered
152 Posts
Makes total sense now. Someone messed with it and that is why I can't get the correct voltage out of my tps. Ding Ding Ding. Now can I sleep tonight thinking if this is the fix. Tomorrow will be like Christmas all over again if it is.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is how I set mine. Not saying it's correct but it worked for me.

I first adjusted the throttle cable to the correct width. About 1/8". Then I adjusted the stop screw slightly to close the throttle body. Then I turned the key to the "on" position to see if my engine light was on. Then start it when the light went off ( you have to turn the key off in between adjustments ). It still didn't work. I adjusted it a little bit more and then re-checked the throttle cable. Haven't had the problem since. I went on a 5 hour ride today with some friends and worked perfect.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Makes total sense now. Someone messed with it and that is why I can't get the correct voltage out of my tps. Ding Ding Ding. Now can I sleep tonight thinking if this is the fix. Tomorrow will be like Christmas all over again if it is.

I hope it works for you! Let me know how it goes.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Thanks EDHOutcast, think I am getting closer and have a LOT better understanding of what is going on. Right now I haven't got it completely done as my new TPS is defective. They are supposed to be spring loaded and this one the spring has sprung. Now have to wait 2 more weeks if the dealer doesn't give me a ton of crap about it being electrical and non returnable. Will see tomorrow, if that's the way he wants to go I'll just call credit card company and deal with it that way.

I think I have 3 issues going on. 1 the tps, 2 the throttle maniford screw adjustment and 3 the throttle cable adjustment. Need the new tps to adjust all 3.

So when you said adjusted the screw more closed do you know were the butterflies closed all the way? Open just a little?

Thanks for your input and help!

Ultra

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm glad you are getting closer. Sorry, I don't know the exact position of the butterflies. It was really just trial and error.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have 1 for adjusting the TPS thanks. Just wondering where the throttle body should be approximately before I start adjusting tps. Changing throttle body changes tps. Then add the throttle adjustment on the handlebars. Might be easier to hit jackpot then adjusting all 3 of these and get them right.

Thanks for the reply and help!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mine just started doing the same thing. I just installed a snorkel kit on it and upon start up it did fine but within 2 seconds it went to crap. Checked plugs and the front one looks fine but the rear one is fouled but it is the one burning hotter than the front cylinder. No trash or anything got into the motor or air box as I had it sealed and closed up while doing all the work. Also I noticed I have tons of air being baffled back into the air box and out of the snorkels. I considered maybe a bent valve? But nothing could have caused this since I scoped the air box before replacing it for trash in it. It also started backfiring at idle after it warmed up some so I'm hoping maybe that is from the plug issue. Anyone had this sort of issue before after snorkeling? Any help is appreciated greatly! Never had one do this to me yet.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts