Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All - Newbie here from NJ. I'm currently looking to purchase a Sportsman X2. It will mainly be used on 3 acres of residential land. Light hauling & riding light trails. Plan to put a plow on it for the winter for the driveway. My local dealer has a new '13 for $7188. The '14 is listing out around $9700 & includes EPS. Huge price difference. My question is whether I should fork over the extra loot for the EPS or grab a great deal on the '13? Sounds like a nobrainer but need some help. Opinions appreciated.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Personally, I'd get the '13. If you feel you still want EPS you can add it yourself for substantially less than the difference between the two. Just my .02.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hello All - Newbie here from NJ. I'm currently looking to purchase a Sportsman X2. It will mainly be used on 3 acres of residential land. Light hauling & riding light trails. Plan to put a plow on it for the winter for the driveway. My local dealer has a new '13 for $7188. The '14 is listing out around $9700 & includes EPS. Huge price difference. My question is whether I should fork over the extra loot for the EPS or grab a great deal on the '13? Sounds like a nobrainer but need some help. Opinions appreciated.
Awesome price for a new '13!!!! Yes that is quite a price difference. When you say listing - don't pay MSRP. You need to get your dealer to give you the cheapest price they can w/ the '14 before you pull the trigger on the '14. Also, get a price quote from another dealer. It will work to your advantage. EPS is nice but not mandatory. I also have a Sportsman Touring that my wife normally drives and it has EPS. Some of my kids like the EPS better (easier for them to drive). My wife likes it too. For me it doesn't really matter but the touring is nice for the heated hand grips, thumb heater, and rear view mirrors over EPS.

Good luck!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Have a look around or see if your dealer can get a 2013 with EPS for you. I Picked up a 13 Limited Stealth Edition a couple months ago for a really good price. The power steering on these are amazing, especially at low speeds!!

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
To much extra money for the power steering if you ask me. You should buy the 2013 and add the power steering from an aftermarket company for way less. You should remember that you have turf mode on the X2 and that makes it easier to steer also. Good luck

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
You dont even need eps with turf mode.

·
Super Moderator
7,088 Posts
Not sure how you guys think turf mode makes up for the lack of power steering.?.? It does not. The biggest thing I noticed when I was in turf mode was a lack of traction. The bars didn't turn any easier, there wasn't less kick back from the front tires hitting stuff on the trails, or any other advantage that I could find. If it turned a tighter corner, it wasn't enough that I could notice.
All that said, it was an awesome machine and it was a work horse and power steering would have made it even better. The price difference here between the '13 & '14 would steer me to the '13 and add after market PS.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
you can add after market EPS for around $700. Get the '13.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thank you all for the replies. I just returned from the dealer. Passed on the X2. Purchased a 2013 550 EFI in pursuit camo for $7,000. Still in the crate. Thought that was a good deal. Figure I can add an aftermarket passenger seat. Will also look at aftermarket EPS if I feel it's needed. Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I think the 2013 x2 was a better deal than you got the 550.

But enjoy the new machine!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just bought a 13 550 x2 last week for $7000, and I gotta say I love it. I've already had the wife out on the rear seat, hauled logs out of the woods and used the dump bed. Very versatile machine for the money. I put a winch on mine and am looking for a plow now. Have fun with the new toy, keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Yeah...couple hundred more for an X2? I think you missed the bus on that one. X2 was a better deal and more versatile quad.

As for after market EPS, I don't think it exists for the X2.

Turf mode does make a quad easier to steer, but I don't think it is on par with EPS.

Sean

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
You may want to inquire with SuperATV about availability of power steering for X2.

Originally this wasn't available for my old 700 but a kit appeared in the last few weeks.
I have asked, and their answer is that they have no plans on a kit for the X2 or touring models due to the location of the battery.

Sean

·
Registered
24 Posts
Could you tell me what dealer has theses great prices? I live in NJ and am currently trying to get an X2. My local dealer is much higher than that. I PM'ed you also.
thanks

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Could you tell me what dealer has theses great prices? I live in NJ and am currently trying to get an X2. My local dealer is much higher than that. I PM'ed you also.
thanks
Yeah, glad I don't know where I could get a new 2013 X2 for $7188...or I might have had to go back into ATV debt. Average retail for my 2006 is about $4400...a USED 2013 x2 is worth $7160 in my area.

Sean

1 - 20 of 20 Posts