Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had Polaris ATV's for over 15 years now. I have never in all those years seen a rack design both front and back that was so far from usable as a utility machine. What are you folks doing to haul gear/fuel/saw on these things. I put on set of tracks so I want to carry some vitals just incase I get pooched in the back country. I guess I'll just wear my snowshoes for now. lol. Any advice or pics are appreciated. Thanks. EW

·
Registered
450 Posts
Mines a '12 Touring 850. I didn't feel like spending $100 on the tiny storage bin that snaps in place of the passenger seat, so I took one of those cheap ($20) storage/tool/gear boxes from Walmart, figured out where the pin comes up that the seat snaps onto, drilled a hole in the bottom of the box and pushed the box over the pin. There's a skinny spot on the shaft of the pin, perfect for a cotter pin to hold the box down on the pin. I put a zip tie on both ends of the cotter pin to keep it held tight. Between the pin and the seat, it's pretty solid. That box fits perfect in the body/frame recess for the rear seat.

Between that box and the front cargo box, I can carry all my essentials plus some. If I need to carry gas, I just strap a 5gal can beside the box, run the straps under the rack and through a couple of the holes.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,049 Posts
Not the handiest, but really not that tough to carry gear. Rotopax fuel containers on the front, rack extender on the rear to use as tie down point for securing cargo.

·
Registered
460 Posts
That is a dang good looking machine Bob!
What size are the Bighorns? 2.0 or Originals?

·
Registered
166 Posts
I put 12 eye bolts on the lid of the front rack. It easily holds my gas cans and lunch cooler. I have and old Polaris box on the rear that is attached with bungie cords.

·
Super Moderator
7,049 Posts
I also added some additional tie down points to help secure things.

·
Super Moderator
7,049 Posts
That is a dang good looking machine Bob!
What size are the Bighorns? 2.0 or Originals?
Hey, thanks. That is my Moab setup. The Rockers don't work so well on the slick rock, so these tires and wheels go on for the annual trip to Moab. They are 26" BH originals. Thinking about going with 28" x 10" BH's on all four corners when my PB Rockers get replaced.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Polaris front and back and mounted two existing waterproof fabric bags from an American trails bag system to the front corners of my rear cargo box. Tons of storage.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Wes box for my touring on the rear.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I am not a fan of hard boxes at all, but I do like the ogio honcho bag as mine has survived 1600 brutal miles at hatfield. I think Polaris oem's one with l&r anchors now too. That is what I would go with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I have had Polaris ATV's for over 15 years now. I have never in all those years seen a rack design both front and back that was so far from usable as a utility machine. What are you folks doing to haul gear/fuel/saw on these things. I put on set of tracks so I want to carry some vitals just incase I get pooched in the back country. I guess I'll just wear my snowshoes for now. lol. Any advice or pics are appreciated. Thanks. EW
? They have the largest racks plus can carry more weight than others. Just get some rack extenders and some bungee cords. Rack extenders are the key dude.

·
Registered
679 Posts
My racks and storage are the envy of my friends who ride other machines. In my opinion its the most usable platform of any ATV. I have a similar setup to Bobx2. Those rack extenders are from Polaris, either metal of composite. The one you see on Bobx2's are composite. I like them better as they offer more anchor points for bungee cords.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Polaris box in front and kolpin large bag in back. I had the big Wes box in the back and could not even fit a helmet in there... uploadfromtaptalk1389848956144.jpg

·
Super Moderator
7,049 Posts
Not the handiest, but really not that tough to carry gear. Rotopax fuel containers on the front, rack extender on the rear to use as tie down point for securing cargo.

What rack extender are you using? Thanks.
Lost track of this thread. I have the composite rack extender. I bought it when I bought the atv 3 years ago. Seems to hold up as well as the steel ones without the scratching and rusting that you get from steel. Wasn't sure about the composite when I bought it, but now I'm a believer in them.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Bob,

Refresh my memory, what brand/model rear bag do you have?

thanks

·
Super Moderator
7,049 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,049 Posts
Like BobX2, I added strap tie-downs both front and rear. THey are perfect for attaching cargo bags.

Tie Down Eye Strap
I bought mine at the local Ace Hardware store. Think I paid about $6 for 4 eyelets and the screws to mount them. They are perfect for the cargo bag straps.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts