Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 sportsman 500 HO and it has stock 12" stamped wheels. I like the stamped steel but want to go with 14" wheels and tires. What I want to do is put take offs from one of the bigger machines that polaris sells like the 550 which comes with 14" steel wheels. Will this work on my machine? Tire/wheel clearance offsets/bolt pattern etc?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
It will work but you will need at least a 1" wheel spacer so it doesnt rub your struts or tie rods.

Matt

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Vortec...Will a spacer affect the ride at all in a negative way?

·
Super Moderator
7,048 Posts
For what it's worth, I would stick with the 12" wheels. Tires are cheaper, better ride and better off road performance. Lower profile tires don't make for the best off road performance. I have both and I speak from experience. Something to consider before making the investment.
That's my .02 worth on the subject.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Bobx2, Good advise. Why does Polaris put the 14" wheels on the better machines?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I agree with bobx2. I don't like low-pro's on anything but race cars. I think they had to go 14's on the 550/850's to wrap the rims around the bigger brake/rotor assemblies on the new bikes.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Stick with the 12"

Riding buddy switched and hates the 14"s. We do alot of rocks and the 14"s are horrible. I aggree with the rest price is going to be a factor in the future as well.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, thanks guys. I will stick with what I got!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts