Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have had a steering squeak on this thing since day 1. Previously I sprayed WD40 or whatever was slick trying to get the squeak to stop. I gave up on it and dealt with it. Recently I was looking at the steering bushing area and noticed a small hole. Looking into the hole you can see the steering shaft moving. This hole lines up perfectly center to the bushing. So dug into the grease zerk drawer and found a zerk. It cut it's own threads into the hole without a problem. Greased it up and for the first time ever no squeak. Like the hole meant to have a zerk the entire time. Not sure I am the first to to do this but searched the forum and nothing came up. Thought I would share, enjoy!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,942 Posts
Yup that's a exactly what that hole is for. Years ago there were a lot more grease points on these machines and that was one of them. For whatever reason Polaris deemed them obsolete. Personally I'd rather have more points grease. Honestly though I went through my machine and added a lot of the zerks and it doesn't add any substantial life to the bushing, maybe 10-15 %. But hey it stopped the squeak so that's all that matters!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
So I have had a steering squeak on this thing since day 1. Previously I sprayed WD40 or whatever was slick trying to get the squeak to stop. I gave up on it and dealt with it. Recently I was looking at the steering bushing area and noticed a small hole. Looking into the hole you can see the steering shaft moving. This hole lines up perfectly center to the bushing. So dug into the grease zerk drawer and found a zerk. It cut it's own threads into the hole without a problem. Greased it up and for the first time ever no squeak. Like the hole meant to have a zerk the entire time. Not sure I am the first to to do this but searched the forum and nothing came up. Thought I would share, enjoy!
Thank you very much, EaseMachine. Your explanation and pictures were perfect. I found the small hole from looking at your pictures, and will fill it with a zerk fitting ASAP. It's like 97 in the shade right now, so I'm not taking any long rides for a while. We seldom see these temps in far north Idaho. Yours has been the best help I've received from this forum, and I appreciate it.

Best Regards,

Griff

·
Registered
145 Posts
I am out wrenco loop area if you know that area between Laclede and Sandpoint. Hoping the loggers will be done blocking the trail with their yarder so i can get up baldy again! 🥵

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am out wrenco loop area if you know that area between Laclede and Sandpoint. Hoping the loggers will be done blocking the trail with their yarder so i can get up baldy again! 🥵
Hi Snowchaser:

I'm a couple of miles south of the Moyie River Bridge off of Roosevelt....Boundary County, i.e. God's country. My ATV is sitting still due to this terrible heat and all of the dust. Let's hope it gets back into the 70's SOON!!!! =0)

Hang in there,

Griff

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yes, gorgeous up there! Building quite a few houses in there the last few years. Used to deliver plumbing supplies to a couple customers off of roosevelt. Good thing is the 90+ days only last a couple weeks a years up here. I would much rather have snow on the ground!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts