Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been working on getting a 87 trail boss 250 back up and running after sitting for quite a few year's. Finally after a few weeks it's running and is quite fun to ride. Stopping on the other hand is not. I've adjusted the brakes but still won't stop. Barely slows you down. Has replacement lower cables, everything functions like it should, from what I can tell. The pads have roughly 3/16" left on them. Figured I'd ask first before buying new pads just in case I'm missing something.

Any thoughts are always welcome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,959 Posts
Remove the front brake drums - have them bead blasted clean - sand the shoes to remove glaze and try again - usually the drum brakes will stop on a dime and give you nine cents change - the rear disk is auxiliary and rather puny, but with sanding of the pads and disk it can be improved, but it will never be stellar - rely on the front brakes

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Remove the front brake drums - have them bead blasted clean - sand the shoes to remove glaze and try again - usually the drum brakes will stop on a dime and give you nine cents change - the rear disk is auxiliary and rather puny, but with sanding of the pads and disk it can be improved, but it will never be stellar - rely on the front brakes
I'll give that a shot. Right now I don't have the rear brakes hooked up. Needs a new cable. And I never use the rear brakes anyway.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sanded the pads down and used a dremel with a drum sander attachment to rough up the drums and no change. Going to pull them back off. I don't think the pads are either being pushed out far enough or hard enough

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Replaced the front pads and still having issues. I don't know how much more I can adjust them, they are pretty tight right now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts