Polaris ATV Forum banner

1988 Polaris no spark???

6K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Tyleraw96 
#1 ·
Hi, I have a 1988 Polaris Trail Blazer 250 2x4 2-stroke quad. I just bought it not too long ago and I think it's a Trail Blazer but research has lead me to believe they did not make a Trail Blazer in '88 and it's probably a Trail Boss. Anyways the guy I bought it off of said it ran like a dream last summer then it sat over the off season. Now it won't run. I did all the necessary maintenance for a quad that's been sitting (I own 2 other Honda atv's). Well I pretty much have the issue diagnosed down to low to no spark on the plug. With a new plug if I grab the plug while its attached I feel just a tiny jolt not even enough to let go of the plug. Now in my experience if you do this that spark will easily knock your hard off the plug maybe knock you back a little. When I hook up a test light to plugs coming out of the stator and pull the cord it doesn't brighten the hell out of the light it just lights it up a little weak looking. Could this be a failing stator, bad CDI box, Bad coil, ????? PLEASE HELP????

#3 ·
welcome aboard
sounds like the coil

#4 ·
Yep from Cowlitz County in Washington. I have pretty much ruled out the coil by trying another coil I had laying around that was from a good bike. Just wondering does the coil have to grounded to the frame or is it just powered by the single wire connector? I have to say I'm not impressed by these Polaris atv's yet. My dad has a 2000 trailboss 325 and his lost spark out of nowhere on a trail. And now I have this '88 and it lost its spark. Starting to think this is a common problem with Polaris ATV's.

#5 ·
no electrical circuit works without a complete loop... that "spare" coil must be grounded.. that ground is the bolt holding it to the frame.

A coil is simply 2 coils of wire around a grounded core. DC is fed in to the primary coil.. (the other side is ground) when the power in to the primary coil is shorted to ground it caused the built up "back EMF" to discharge, when this happens it generatets a high voltage in the secondary winding and to the spark plug creating the spark.

At least this is how it was explained to me. ... so you MUST install that coil on the frame to make it work.

#7 ·
What was the verdict? I have a '99 trailblazer 250 that won't get spark and the kill switch is perfectly fine and so is the ignition coil. I can't find any fuses, is there any that could cause this? Mine turns but doesn't start even with a little gas in the spark plug hole

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.