Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have a 1990 350L with 4x4. I went to replace the recoil spring and when i took off the chain cover on the right side i noticed the chain had gouged the side of the recoil cover. No idea why. The chain is tight, but not too tight so it definitly isnt that. Its almost as if the rear sprocket itself moved in too far and the sprockets are out of alignment. I havent seen anything like this before, and i do not know where to start. Has anyone had this problem before? Is there a way to adjust the sprocket from side to side?

·
Registered
119 Posts
you may have "wallowed" out bolt holes in the frame for the rear swing arm allowing the sprockets to be out of alignment. lift the back in in the air by the frame and grab the rear suspension and see if it moves side to side... should be little to no side to side movement.

·
Registered
5,970 Posts
If the C-ring is missing from the transmission output shaft, the outer drive sprocket can walk in towards the inner drive sprocket. The inner sprocket (to the best of my memory) drives the rear wheels and the outer sprocket drives the front. The outer sprocket is locked in position by fitting against the C-ring and the bolt and washer in the end of the output shaft hold it against the C-ring. Check to see if you have missing or out of position parts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is the C-Ring on the outside of the frame (toward the chain cover) or on the inside of the frame? I can't see a spot where the shaft could even have a c ring on there.. im just so lost

·
Registered
5,970 Posts
I need pics to see what you have to determine if something is missing

Here's a link to the parts breakdown - what it does not show is the bearing the output shaft goes through an is bolted to the frame - that's on the second link.

grarcase

Part #2 & 3 - parts 2 & 3 are substituted by part number 2201115 which is both 2 & 3 - I hope you have them, it's $115 from Polaris - the bearing keeps the sprocket away from the frame

1 - 5 of 5 Posts