Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 1990 Trail Boss 250 2x4 for my wife. It ran great at the test drive. Suddenly, now that i have it home, as soon as the key is turned on, the breaker trips and kills the power. It cycles as it's supposed to, and trips immediately.

I tested it by replacing it with a 10a fuse, which blew right away, so I put the breaker back in.

IF I pull the brown wire off the terminal block that goes to the stator, then the breaker doesn't trip, but of course, then the engine doesn't spark either.

Is there a way to test the stator without it running?
Could it be a voltage regulator or CDI issue?

I'm LOST! Please help! Thank you.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yes you can test the stator. Consult a service manual for your specific machine.
I don't have one downloaded for a Trailboss, but I have found manuals for my Sportsmans for free online. Do a search on this forum, and somewhere there is a thread with manual info.
If you can't find what you need, PM me and I will email one of Sportsman manuals. The test procedure will be the same, but may have different wire colors.

I would have to see a wiring diagram for your machine to answer your question about the regulator and CDI.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Stator has nothing to do with a short causing the circuit breaker to trip. Unhook your negative cable on battery and use a test light between the post and cable. When key is on it will light up rather than blow a fuse or trip breaker. You should be able to trace where problem is on that circuit then.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you all for your help.

RESULTS! :) I hadn't noticed that the previous owner had hacked the 4-wires from the ignition key and put a new key system onto the old wires. His poor twisted-wire and tape job caused a single hot wire to stray through the insulation and hit another stray ground wire. This shorted the circuit as soon as soon as the key was turned on. The reason it didn't trip when I unplugged the stator is that the stator wire is what grounds the terminal block to the chassis completing the defective key setup he had.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts