Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1991 trailboss 250 4x4 w918127
This bike had new top end rebuilt before i bought it bike starts and runs lots of smoke so i know it is getting oil but when bike is put into gear oil light on dash comes on?
2 stroke oil is more than half full and i dont see any sensor anywhere on bike.
Fan has been converted to switch on and off.

Any ideas on why oil warning comes on?
could a bad battery cause this, but battery starts quad no issues?

·
9,231 Posts
Unless I'm mistaken, your machine doesn't have an oil warning light. It has what Polaris calls a "Pilot light lens asm." From left to right its Hot(red), Neutral(green), High Beam(blue), Reverse(yellow), 4x4(red).
You said it comes on when you put it in gear. If its the red light on the right then that's the 4x4 indicator.
Here's a picture:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-OEM-Polaris-Pilot-Light-Lens-NOS/253402152449?epid=594514511&hash=item3afff1fe01:g:Be4AAOSwvu5bhkMR:sc:USPSFirstClass!40962!US!-1:rk:1:pf:0

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
There is more than one wiring diagram for the 91 Trail Boss 4x4 - some indicate 5 dash lights, but all indicate only 4 active - t none of the wiring diagrams I looked indicated an oil light.

By the wiring diagrams, you have dash lights for neutral (green), high (blue), reverse (amber) and 4x4 (red) there was a 5th light that was not wired on your machine and it was a red light for temp on the liquid cooled models - the parts diagram does not indicate a sending unit for the oil tank - the fan was an option, if the fan was not wired correctly, it might cause the hot light in the dash to come on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thats what i got took it apart got them all lighting up neutral works high beam works reverse works and far right works when in gear so i ordered the proper overlay for it that polman500 linked thank you both for the help. @latebird and @polman500

1 - 6 of 6 Posts