Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was given a 1991 Trail Boss 250 that had been sitting for years. Pulled the carb and installed a rebuilt kit. It almost starts but not quite. It will only try with the choke on and REALLY tries with my hand over the carb opening to air filter but my hand gets saturated with gas. It has new plug and coil. I checked compression. If I did it right it got up to 120. I've adjusted the air screw to no avail. Please help

·
Registered
111 Posts
My bet is your pilot circuit is still clogged. The fuel on your hand is probably coming from the choke which is actually cold start Injector. (Let's extra fuel in rather than cutting airflow)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I even bought little brushes to scrub out the valleys before putting new parts in. The fuel looks to be almost spraying from close to the actual choke location inside the carb at the top of the slide.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I would expect the fuel to come out there as stated that's what that choke does is allow extra fuel in. Did you confirm that the new jets were the same size as the old ones? How far out is your air screw? I'm still leaning towards a clogged pilot circuit

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The needle in the slide is very small hair shorter. But, the original was on the the second slot while the book says the third. The air jet screw was at one turn and that's what the book calls fir. Chilton book. Made sure the float jet was set per the book also.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I cleaned the pilot hole with the brush, it wasn't quite small enough to go all the way through. I'll pull it off again and try to clean it better. Will I be able to see light through it ??

·
Registered
8 Posts
The metering jet orifice is clogged quit wasting your time on the carb sat too long and the ethanol killed it DOA
You may never get it cleaned out, some of the passages in the carb are not accessible
buy a new carb be done with it & ride it not work on it & one last thing
Use Stabil (this is what I use never had any carb or fuel related
problems I swear by it!0 or a good brand of fuel treatment in your fuel year round seriously !
It will save you a lot of headaches :unsure:(y)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts