Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother bought a 1992 Polaris (Trail boss? No name markings, just says 250 2X4) 2 stroke ATV yesterday for $800.
I wanted to know what people think about this ATV, what are some common problems/ things to look for?
Are they any good, or junk? Obviously its old, but is it a good machine?

It has around 5500 miles on it (speedometer stopped working yesterday, new speedometer cable????) new deep tread rear tires, newer looking chain, headlight & tail light works, newer battery, plastics are in great shape, no rips in seat, all the brakes work.
The previous owner disconnected the oil injection, so you have to manually premix the gas and oil (40:1???)

First thing we did before he drove it around is tighten and lube chain, grease all points, WD-40 throttle, carb & choke cleaner in carb.
When it's cold it doesn't want to start, 10-12 pulls, even with choke on, dirty carb??? But when its warm it will start one pull every time. :hmmm:

Problems:
Speedometer/odometer stopped working, new speedometer cable??? What else could possibly be the problem???

Electric start doesn't work, when you press the started button it just "clicks" but doesn't turn over. So I think he needs a new starter.

Front suspension "creaks" every time you hit a bump, or push on it while its not running. Is it suppose to do that??? It sounds like its either the springs or shocks, maybe the tie rods???

Any help/advice for the problems, and any tips for maintenance/keeping it running strong would be great! :)
Thanks!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Be carefull when tightening chain, when you compress the rear suspension the chain will get tighter. You need to leave some slack to allow for this.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tightened the chain so it was tight with just a little slack without the suspension compressed, that should be fine, right?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Easiest way to check is get a couple people to sit on the back and compress the suspension to check and make sure you are not singing tight at that point.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, ill check that out.
Also wanted to mention that I must have flooded it yesturday, today it started in 3 pulls when it was cold, I think that's pretty good for its age.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does anybody know an easy way to replace the electric starter on this ATV? Its located near the bottom of the engine between the engine and transmission. So the only way I think I can replace it is to either remove the transmission or engine.
Does anyone else have any other ideas about how to replace it?
any easy ways to replace it?

·
Registered
56 Posts
You will have to pull the clutches, you will need to get your hands on a puller or make one, just do a search on making your own puller.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was thinking I was going to need a puller so I ordered one when I ordered the starter.
So do i just pull the clutches and the plastic guard behind them and whala, I have acess to the starter?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yes remove bolts and you just pull out starter

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
I think you will have to remove the pull rope assembly also. On most 2 strokes there are 2 Bolts that need to be removed and the only access to them is by removing the pull rope assembly also.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
On my old two stroke 400's, to change the starter you had to remove the recoil cover as there are two bolts that are inside that bolt back to the starter and two bolts on a bracket that can be accessed underneath the skid plate.

I never removed the clutches although it may have made the removal of the bracketed bolts easier. I found it easiest to stand the quad on end with the winch and a rafter so that I am working standing up. It makes the job way easier than lying on your stomach.

The starter for that is the same ones for I think all the 2 strokes they made so I imagine it would be the same removal technique.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update replaced the started and it still didn't work, just "clicked" but wouldn't turn over. Well looking into it more it looked the helix aka the starter drive was causing all the problems (in order to replace the helix we had to remove the flywheel which took a long time, we broke 2 gear pullers trying to get it off so finally we went to the local atv mechanic and he gave us his flywheel puller which worked great) so we replaced that and now it works pretty well every once I awhile it will click mod not turn over, but for the most part it's working great.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey guys,
Quick question, what is the oil to fuel ratio/mixture on theses 2 strokes? The previous owner disconnected the oil tank so we have to premix the oil and fuel. We use 5 gallon gas cans so how much oil should we put in with the 5 gallon? Today i put 8 ounces of oil in the 5 gallon, is that too much or not enough?

Any advice is great! I have no clue how much oil to fuel theses are suppose to have.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks rbs! Oddly the back of the bottle doesnt say anything about mixing, so ill just look it up. I just wasn't sure what kind of ratio i was working with.
How do you figure out the the correct ratio (like 32:1 or 50:1, etc)? I'm not just talking for this motor anymore, just any 2 stroke in general that doesn't mix it for you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
There are 128 fluid ounces in a gallon. So at 50:1 you want 2.56 ounces per gallon.

For 5 gallons, you want 12.8 ounces of oil, or round to 13 and call it good.

:werd:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks sporer!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow, that's a lot of oil! Thanks guys for the help!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts