Polaris ATV Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Does anyone know where the vin # is on these?
There is a plastic plate with white numbers on it by the shift lever, but it seems to short to be a vin.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Does anyone know where the vin # is on these?
There is a plastic plate with white numbers on it by the shift lever, but it seems to short to be a vin.
That is the VIN. It should be on a metal plate about 3/4" wide x about 2".

·
Registered
71 Posts
Did you get the speedo working?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Dead buck, we never got it working, yet...

We pulled out the old cable, the casing was ripped but it was still intact, we went to the dealer and they couldn't find a part #, they even called Polaris after measuring how long it was and could get it because it was an accessory at the time for the trail boss, they didn't come stock with it.

So then they looked up to see if there was a part # for the speedo cable on my magnum, and there was, so we roughly measured my magnum cable and it seemed pretty darn close to the length of the trail boss cable. My brother hasn't ordered one yet (it costs around $45) but I'm sure he will soon.

We also think another possibility of why it doesn't work could be the mechanism where it connects to the transmission is messed up/broken, but there is no way to prove that until we get the new cable and try it out.

Hope that helps somewhat, I'll keep you updated with what happens when he gets the cable.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The connection to the transmission is a lil tricky on my 90... I'm assuming its the same for yours. There are three nuts holding it in place. Until you get the new cable you can take that off and the cable should unscrew from it. From there you can clean it up and see if it turns... It is kinda hard to turn by hand... I sprayed the crap out of mine w on blaster and then put it back together. There is a "key" that goes into the tranny case and into the part you take off. It is about 2" long. It's just a piece if speedo cable designed to shear off if there is any problems. I'm soon to replace the piece for the third time. There's actually another piece that goes into the tranny. The lil cable goes into that. I will try to post a couple of pics for you either here or in an album.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
That is a pic of the connector removed from the tranny. I will now attempt to give you a shot of the key and the round insert in the side of the tranny. Depending on yours the insert may screw out or just need to be tapped out. The broken end of the key may be stuck In side meaning you will have to take out the insert to get it. I have a shop manual which may help you.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Here is an image from the book.

·
Registered
71 Posts
One more try

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
If you need more help I can try... I am going on them being similar. GoodLuck!

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Cable route

Attachments

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Wow! Thanks for all the useful info Deadbuck! It will definitively come in handy if after installing the new cable (which we got on order now) the speedometer still doesn't work!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts