Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Need help solving a starting problem. Machine cranks over fine, just won't start. Lookinf for information on the carb & choke system. Believe choke is a open/close valve type instead of a flap style. Possible issue with the choke opening/closing.

Machine has been in for service numeriuos time, will run and start when first back from service yet reverts back to starting problem within a few weeks. Currently not starting at all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jake

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
First off, Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bruce,

Also have a 2004 500 Sportsman, runs great no problems.
Could use some help on the 1994 400 Extreme though.

Regards

·
Registered
483 Posts
This style carb doesn't have the flap to choke the air. Kinda hard to explain.Does it start when cold? Maybe that you are having float needle and seat issues. Try spraying a shot of starting fluid into the carb when starting. This should tell whether or not if it's indeed the carb giving you the problem. Are you still using the oil injection? Check and replace the spark plug.

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche...OEM/PolarisATV.asp?Type=18&A=55&B=23&Action=O

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Junkie,

Since my post I've learned that the choke mechanism is a valve style. Machine sat in the for about a week........and wallah it started.

This is the actual ongoing problem, dealer picks it up, it runs, sends it back, works for a few days & then won't start again.

This machine has already had $ 900.00 in service at the dealer.

Did try using a spray of starting fluid before I posted.

I'm leaning toward this being a possible electrical problem.

Your thoughts please.

Thanks a bunch

Jake

·
Registered
483 Posts
Hey Jake, I'm thinking check your spark. Several things to consider here. Stator with a bad connection or trigger coil, all part of stator. Or Bad ignition coil. You can check most of the electrical items with an Ohm meter. I have the values that these should read if you chose to do so.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts