Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whell over the period of the last 9 months my father and i have re built my atv. being that it is so old the gears in the gear box finaly showed it. the busted and tor apart. we first took out the gear box and took that apart and replaced all faulty gears. now the gear box is back in comission and works perfictly. so we tryed to start it. it wouldent turn over it kept getting caut, so we decided to take apert the engine once we got it pulled apart we found out that the piston was cracked and shaterd. one we cleaned out all broken peaces and got the new piston in it we put it back togeather, we got the whole engine back in place. when the starter is hit it turns over perfictly and all is whell. then we hooked up the battery, all of a suddon the brown (ground) wire leading to the stator and pulse (pickup) coil comming from the cdi burnt up. it melted the insulation and chared what was left. so we tested the stator and the pulse coil. there is no definite way to test a regulator/rectifier and a cdi so we have no idea if it is them or not. but we cut out the burnt section of the wire and soilderd a replasement wire in that segment. and we turn it over and still no spark. so we replased the ignition coil suspecting it wasent letting out a sark. put a new one in and go figure it dint spark. we only get one spark at the begining and nothing the rest, and now we r suspecting the stator (exciter) coil behind the flywheel. we have been prying and prying at the flywheel for weeks, we have heated the crank shaft and tried pulling it off we tried heating and using a gear/bearing puller and nothing. tonight ,my dad sat there using a slide hammer and heat for over 2 hours and not a budge, we wheel never get to the stator if this keeps up. any help please. all help and info is greatly apreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I use a small 2 hook puller. You can hook it through the holes in the flywheel. Put the nut on the threads of the crank so you want screw them up. Tighten the puller and hit the end of the puller. Tighten a little more and keep hitting the end of the puller with a heavy hammer. Repeat until it pops loose. I have seen several pullers using bolts pull the threads out of the flywheel. Pulling it through the holes has always worked better for me, Protect the threads and your eyes,,, Hope this helps,,,,,,,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i was thinking of cutting it off to. with all the work we have done i just want to ride. i will try and the puller one more wime wever tryed befor but maby all of out other work has loosend it up. i will definitly try one more time. thanks for the help.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Polaris dealerships have the tool to remove the flywheel. If you take it to them they might remove it for a small fee. I have a flwheel and a stator off of a 1995 400 xplorer 4x4. If interested make an offer. Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
this is in regards to TT425 post about selling his stator, dose it come with the pulse coil to and in what reange do you estimate for a price?

·
Registered
43 Posts
if you go to a auto parts store pick up a hamonic wheel balancer puller will work fine to pull off flywheel just used it on mine a couple days ago you can pick them up for around 15 at o reillys auto parts also check your compression, cylinder head for looseness

1 - 9 of 9 Posts