Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, another starter to install after the last one came apart after 33 miles. Lots of duck marsh time in the water maybe a foot deep. Anyway there was evidence of water in the starter and in the reoil cover. I was diligent in sealing all parts when installing. I wrapped the starter seams with flex tape, sealed the positive pole with rtv and cut new gaskets for both the starter and recoil cover. I failed to seal the two bolts on the end of the starter. So this water seems to be a weakness and I was wondering if others had tried other ideas. I am thinking of flex steeling the whole thing. I am hesitant on the rtv of the gaskets as they become difficult to remove if fails again. An y help is appreciated.

Dave

·
Registered
15,819 Posts
Try an Arrowhead starter instead of the Amazon starter and drain water from the recoil housing after every outing. Typically water enters the starter through the armature end - the recoil housing is supposed to be dry (no water or oil) and the armature end of the starter does not have a seal on the armature shaft. Motorcycle and ATV starters that run in oil have a seal on the armature shaft. The only other way for water to get into the starter is condensation.

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
10,501 Posts
OK, another starter to install after the last one came apart after 33 miles. Lots of duck marsh time in the water maybe a foot deep. Anyway there was evidence of water in the starter and in the reoil cover. I was diligent in sealing all parts when installing. I wrapped the starter seams with flex tape, sealed the positive pole with rtv and cut new gaskets for both the starter and recoil cover. I failed to seal the two bolts on the end of the starter. So this water seems to be a weakness and I was wondering if others had tried other ideas. I am thinking of flex steeling the whole thing. I am hesitant on the rtv of the gaskets as they become difficult to remove if fails again. An y help is appreciated.

Dave
Font Line Window Pattern Automotive exterior
to the forum
Ball Automotive lighting Vehicle registration plate Font Gas

1 - 3 of 3 Posts