Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Polaris 1994 Sportsman 400 - 2 stroke, when in L range and I shift in to reverse the reverse light on the dash does not come on and kills the engine, like it was shut off. I also notice that if I shift from H range to Reverse, it will shift in reverse but the AWD does not work in reverse. Anybody know if this would be caused by a bad reverse safety switch?

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
First off, welcome to the board!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Yes the switch is in your shifter box, One switch tells Forward, neutral and reverse. Common problem in these models, I have the same shifter block and switch. I bypassed mine and no more problems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What is needed to bypass reverse switch?

Do I need to wire terminals together to by pass switch or just disconnect wires?

·
Registered
483 Posts
You can make a connection at the terminal block under the hood with a short jumper with female terminals or cut and splice together the wires with butt connectors. At the shifter box there are four wires. The two you need are red/w and gray/w. You can splice these two together there at the shifter box. Or at the terminal block under the hood find the red/w's and the gray/w's, simply run a jumper at these two points.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts