Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Magnum 425 2x4. The guy i got it from did a number on it. He bypassed the ignition key switch with a push button which has a hot and ground wire going to it. the atv will not start unless the handlebar switch is to the "run" position and the button is pressed I also have no lights whatsoever. So i ordered a new ignition switch and I have zero idea as to where they actually plug into. I hooked it up to the giant hot and ground wires that was on the push button. If i turn it to the "run" position and turn that key it'll crank and start. Not ideally what i wanted. I wanted to turn the key and start it from the handlebar. I still have no lights. I do not know if this giant hot wire and negative go to the junction box or what. If someone can send me pictures of their junction box and the wiring for the ignition key switch i'd sure appreciate it!

·
Registered
7,498 Posts
Sound as though the PO installed a 'jumper' switch to connect the battery directly to the starter motor without a solenoid involved. The original key switch had 4 wires - red from the battery connected to red/wht to get the lights and starter motor to work in the on position and black connected to brown when the key switch was in the off position to kill the engine.

red - bat + (fused 16 ga wire from the battery + side of the solenoid to the key switch)
red/wht - switched battery +
brown - ground
black - ignition kill
wht/red - starter button battery + (white wire with a red stripe goes from the starter button to the solenoid to makr the solenoid operate and make the starter motor run)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sound as though the PO installed a 'jumper' switch to connect the battery directly to the starter motor without a solenoid involved. The original key switch had 4 wires - red from the battery connected to red/wht to get the lights and starter motor to work in the on position and black connected to brown when the key switch was in the off position to kill the engine.

red - bat + (fused 16 ga wire from the battery + side of the solenoid to the key switch)
red/wht - switched battery +
brown - ground
black - ignition kill
wht/red - starter button battery + (white wire with a red stripe goes from the starter button to the solenoid to makr the solenoid operate and make the starter motor run)
That helps out alot! I am also missing wires on the junction box i was not sure if there are wires that go from the ignition swtich to the junction box

·
Registered
7,498 Posts
Not every terminal was used, so you can't tell by looking if it is missing wires - if a wire is cut or not connected, then it might terminate at the terminal board.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought a Magnum 425 2x4. The guy i got it from did a number on it. He bypassed the ignition key switch with a push button which has a hot and ground wire going to it. the atv will not start unless the handlebar switch is to the "run" position and the button is pressed I also have no lights whatsoever. So i ordered a new ignition switch and I have zero idea as to where they actually plug into. I hooked it up to the giant hot and ground wires that was on the push button. If i turn it to the "run" position and turn that key it'll crank and start. Not ideally what i wanted. I wanted to turn the key and start it from the handlebar. I still have no lights. I do not know if this giant hot wire and negative go to the junction box or what. If someone can send me pictures of their junction box and the wiring for the ignition key switch i'd sure appreciate it!

Did you get it figured out? I've been a mechanic for over 20yrs. I am Harley Davidson and Yamaha Factory CERTIFIED. If you need my help let me know

1 - 5 of 5 Posts