Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello , I recently looked at a Sportsman 400 1995 that had only 340 miles on it.I wasn't looking for that old of one but stumbled upon it . There are actually 2 of them but one is an explorer 400 , same year but speedo is broke and don't know miles. They both look like new. What should I offer? They are 2 strokes and that worries me a little but I grew up on 2 strokes and they seemed OK then. Any input would be great. Thanks

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
First thing that would concern me is crank seals with the age and the amount of time spent sitting, and f they were stored properly so there is no rust on the crank bearings. Could last a long time or a few minutes once you get them up and running.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He has stored them in a shop since day 1. Also mentioned that he has driven them atleast twice a year around his property and serviced them. I rode them and they run good, one was a lil squeaky in the brakes I think. Thanks for the input. I am going to buy one of them. I ride a Suzuki sport quad now and have been looking for a quad for my oldest son. He wanted a hunting style , Im sure I will get some miles on the Sportsman as well:) I will post pics of the quads since I know everyone likes pics

·
Registered
112 Posts
I don't know why but I always wanted one of the 400 2 strokes. Those both look great. I'd go for it for sure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was surprised by how quick it shot to 50mph just barely getting on it. My partner is going to buy the red one now after talking at work today. Weather is shaping up I may get a ride in this weekend... or sooner

·
Registered
89 Posts
Those old 2 strokes got some grunt. Good luck with it, looks great.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
my xplorer 95' 4x4 400 was a beast.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
wow nice quads....great shape...you will have a ball on it..love the 2 stroke powerband....miss my YZ and RM...but to old for them now...I hope its trouble free and you have good times on it this spring......you should of asked for a package deal and you and your friend split it.....who knows

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Should be picking it up today or tomorrow . Im thinking I might want to get it checked just to make sure its good to go.Thanks for the replies, I had a feeling it was a decent unit glad to hear positive feedback

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I'm looking at buying a polaris 400 just like the green one in your photo the breaks are gone and has been sitting for a year out in the weather. I talked to the guy that owns it and he said he could get it running. The way it sits how much would it be worth? It has 231 miles on it along with the seat being broken and needing a new battery.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
^Around me that would be MAYBE $500-$800 depending on the condition of the rest of the machine

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yep all depends on how it runs and the rest of the unit. Tires, bearings, etc.. Good luck.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Should of bought the red one, it has the newer gen 4?, body style which is the best style ever on a ATV for the day, you can resell it alot easier too, the older gen 3 style is just ......old

1 - 18 of 18 Posts