Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys-

I purchased a 95 from a local golf course a few month backs for pushing snow and have ran into an issue. Machine runs well when in 2wheel but when switching to 4Wheel (AWD) I have thrown the front chain 3 times within 90 seconds of switching. Machine wont move snow in 2Wheel so AWD is only being used when using the blade. No rhyme or reason as to when, yesterday it happened while going straight ahead at a slow speed. Chain is now torqued around and must be replace. Help!

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
Chain and sprockets were already 'torqued'

Replace the chain, sprockets and perhaps the bearings in the carriers - replace the intermediate chain, sprockets and carrier bearings and for good measure and a total job, replace the rear drive chain, sprockets and carrier bearings.

Funny thing about FWD ATV's - people want them, but no one wants to pay the required maintenance costs - everyone want to band aid the obvious problem and bypass the preventative maintenance.

Have the disregarded maintenance performed and you may get many years of trouble free use from it, but after a few years of use, it will need some additional maintenance. Even a new vehicle will not RUN FOR FREE!

·
9,814 Posts
I'd say you've got bearings, sprockets, chains and things worn/out of alignment. The only fix will be to dig in and replace what's needed. Here's some pics. Probably be a good idea to locate a service manual too. You might shout out to latebird to see if he has one he'd send you. LOL, he already jumped in while I was typing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. Being the unit is 25 years old, is that expansive of a maintenance wise? I’m leaning towards cutting my loses and getting into something newer

·
9,814 Posts
That would probably be the wiser thing to do unless you enjoy turning wrenches. Parts are sometimes hard to find for those older models too.

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
There are rewards in keeping an older machine running. But some of the parts can be hard to find. Chains and sprockets for those are still available either from Polaris or the aftermarket. I have a '94 Trail Boss project on the lift now. The bearings for the middle and front adjusters are available from Polaris but cheaper if you search for the bearing number. Chains and sprockets can get expensive when replacing all of them, but if they are taken care of won't have to be replaced for years. The early chain drive front wheel drive is crude by today's standards. I would agree with the others that if you are looking to have a machine that is more dependable for plowing, it would probably be better to upgrade to something newer.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've been plowing with my Xplorer 400L since 1997. I'm on my 3rd set of chains and sprockets in 23 years...not too bad at all I think...... I've replace the center eccentric bearings once and the rear axle bearings once. When I do replace the chains, I buy the longest gold label 520 motocycle chain (for superbikes) and cut it to the proper lengths to fit. I also take care to make sure everything is adjusted and lubed properly.
It is nice to not have to worry about getting it started in the cold being a 2 stroke even with a dead battery. Plowing is the only reason I keep my 400 around. I picked up a '95 Xplorer for parts and have pulled a bunch from it to keep it going but wouldn't trade my 400 any other ATV.

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
I have a 94 Trail Boss 400L 4x4 project in the shop. Lots of parts to rebuild the front wheel drive, but so far everything has been available. Bearings and seals for the adjusters, sprockets and all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts