Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I bought 2 of these at the same time and I am working on the 4wd on one.

the switch light does not come on, so i took it apart and there was power to 2 wires inside the switch when the switch was off, but if i push the button there is no power to any of the wires. Is this normal? also i went through some deep water and the handlebars started jerking to one side like it was trying to turn on its own. so i put it in reverse and it finally quit pulling to one side.

A question on the other one.. sometimes all tires spin but most of the time its just 3 wheels spinning and i do not think it ever comes completely out of awd.

any info is greatly appreciated!! thank you in advance

·
Registered
483 Posts
OK first the awd switch, let me ask, when you say there was power to 2 wires inside the switch when the switch was off. Are you referring to the AWD switch, right? There should only be one wire with power in the AWD switch if the switch is in the out position, and only if the key is on and in forward gear. If this is not your case then you have some wiring issues to firgure out.

·
Registered
483 Posts
BTW, the power wire will be the gray/white wire. With the AWD switch pushed in you should have power on the gray/white wire and solid gray wire.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BTW, the power wire will be the gray/white wire. With the AWD switch pushed in you should have power on the gray/white wire and solid gray wire.

Hey I got a chance too look at it a few days ago. With the switch in the out position(off) I have power too the grey and white wire and the yellow wire.

with the button pushed in I have no power to any of the 4 wires.

the overide button does not work either could this have anything too do with it?

the front hubs were also dry with no oil at all

·
Registered
483 Posts
puzzling! Your AWD switch should only have 3 wires running to it.
1.gray/white stripe(main power from trans switch)
2.solid gray(runs to front coils)
3.brown(ground)
It almost sounds like its back feeding from the ground or the wiring has been tinkered with. Double the wires and colors. Read post #2 (switch off, only gray/white stripe should have power)

·
Registered
483 Posts
well I was wrong you do have 4 wires and one is yellow, I had to look at my magnum. Looking though at the wiring diagram it doesn't show the yellow wire. I will trace it down and let you know more info.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi did some more testing found no power comeing out of the trans swich gray white wire /does any body know if i can bypass that switch tie the red white wire to the gray white wire or will that back feed some thing

·
Registered
483 Posts
I bypassed my trans switch. But I will have to look to remember how now. Its been a while since I last redone all the rewiring on it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i am having the same problems, had the low gear plunger seized up and took apart shift box and freed up and when i put back together i broke the little switch so now it wont shift into 4x4 and i saw a post awhile back about how to bypass the switch so 4x4 will work and make more sense anyways.
thank you for you help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
also trying to fig out a slapping noise against the belt cover, oh and i forgot to tell you what i have 1995 Polaris 400 Explorer
thanks again

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
The slapping is probably from the belt. Pull the cover and check your belt condition. If the belt looks good it's more than likely clutching issues.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't want to hijack this thread, but i'm hoping someone can help me out... My 4x4 doesn't work (02 sportsman 400) but there is full power to both hubs. Armature plates and Hilliard clutches are brand new. They magnatize as they should and have correct hub fluid. On jacks. I can stop both tires with my hand.

Another question. Where the splines / rollers on the Hilliard clutch are.. Should there be some notches on the inside of the hub for these rollers to set into when awd engages??

Because with the hub (cover?) itself off, I can see that the rollers move up when the hex nut spins on the axle... I've done the grounding re wiring, grounded the speedo out.. Awd light works, gear selector indicator works, power to the armature plates... Fully/properly magnatized ect. Someone please help :(

·
Registered
28 Posts
That was a total hijack, this has nothing to do with the current issue discussed in this thread. The tabs on the hilliard plate aim out and fit into slots on the hilliard clutch. Forget spinning it by hand. Just turn on AWD and see if the plates stick to the coil.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts