Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my boss has a 96 magnum 425 4x4 and the outer clutch cover cracked up top so it is rubbing unless he props it up, is there anywhere to buy them cheap? also are there other years or universal covers that will work as well? I've found a few for like $45 but wasn't sure if they would work for his machine or not.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
Polaris Cross Reference shows the all the 300, 400 and 500 models from 96 through 2000 are interchangeable.

You can try Ebay for used parts. Search for the machine and more pages than you can stand will show up. You can refine the search a bit and narrow the field.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I just replaced my cover, it had a hole that water was getting into onto the clutch. [not good]
There are 2 styles and I like this one best, however a couple of mounting screws don't line up. So I used a couple of extra clips.
The cover will warp if it gets hot, you should run low range under 10 mph so the clutch cools the unit. And it is not a step lol.

KK4

Polaris ATV New OEM Outer Clutch Cover Case Housing Sportsman Trail Boss Ranger

·
Registered
2 Posts
Awesome thanks for the info
I had to replace my clutch cover on my 1996 magnum 425, new one is a bit smaller on the screw holes don’t line up perfectly with the inner plate. I’m guessing the heat has caused the plastic to stretch and expand. I guess I will have to replace the inner plate which means pulling off the clutch. Anyone else have that problem?
thanks

·
Registered
6,584 Posts
Yeah - seems like when one cover warps, the other one does too - the last cover I replaced came as a kit with both inner and outer covers and the seals. Don't remember which model it was for, but it was newer than 2000

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a 91 Trail Boss 350 that has the same clutch cover. Mine was cracked when I bought it and the clutch was rubbing inside which made an awful racket! I picked up a used OEM on eBay in great condition for $20. I replaced it but left the inside cover and it fixed the problem. Quiet as a mouse now.

FYI....if you have an electric start that needs a new starter, do it at the same time because you have to remove both covers which requires pulling the primary and secondary clutches anyway.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I replaced the inner and outer clutch. Cover, works fine now, $200 later. What I found is that when I pulled off the inner cover there is a gasket that fits over the clutch shaft that sits inside the inner cover, it was broken. In hindsight I should have pulled off the inner and outer cover and then diagnosed the problem. The gasket appeared to be the issue that caused the clutch cover to rub on the clutch housing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts