Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a house and with it came a 1996 magnum 425...that hadn't ran in 2-3 years. I went through and cleaned the carb first thing, filled it with fresh fuel and it fired right up (with the pull start, battery is no longer good). Well beings this weekend was opening weekend of deer season, i got to try it out. Saturday it ran great, it saw mud, water and never missed a beat. Loaded it up and left it in my pickup over night and half of the next day. It rained on it all night and most of the next day (this, I believe is key) I started it the next day and it starts and idles fine, but will not rev. It revs just high enough to engage the transmission and move slowly.....seems electrical? when you try to rev it, it cuts out and miss fires. Anyone have any idea??

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
44 Posts
When I got my magnum same thing set for quite a while and when I started did the same thing ,pull the valve cover and check the cam lobes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was all the sudden though. One day it was fine, the next it was like this.

Update: I pulled the "black wire" off of the control box under the handle bars and everything ran fine. I went to shut it off and it wouldn't shut off. I plugged the wire back in and shut it off and now even with the wire plugged in, it runs fine.....so I guess I will run it until it acts up again?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had a problem like this, and I removed the airbox and now it runs like a top. also had some plug to wire connection/rust issues. But now golden, not sure what to do about the airbox though. Mine actually sputtered at WOT and ran rich with the airbox on but off fine(no restrictions I even removed the filter). probably two different problems we are having.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Try pushing the override button,Look in ETC, electronic throttle control box on handle bars, see if its full of water, also make sure slack in throttle cable is set right, 1/8 inch, slack at thumb throttle, you adjust it where it screws in the etc box on those machines

·
Registered
10 Posts
Try pushing the override button,Look in ETC, electronic throttle control box on handle bars, see if its full of water, also make sure slack in throttle cable is set right, 1/8 inch, slack at thumb throttle, you adjust it where it screws in the etc box on those machines
Thanks boss, but I have tried these things though, I'm not that worried about it. I think I have a cracked plug I have an idling problem it will be just fine then it will sound like the plug is arcing then die, so I'll fix that first.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Pull apart all your electrical connections and put a little dielectric grease on them, as well as the spark plug boot. Sounds like you got a wet electrical problem and that should help a lot of it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Pull apart all your electrical connections and put a little dielectric grease on them, as well as the spark plug boot. Sounds like you got a wet electrical problem and that should help a lot of it.
Didn't think about the dielectric grease I have a tube in my toolbox lol thanks man

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well update. It is doing it to me again. Wont rev. This time it was completely dry (Has bee parked up under the carport. A new development though, when it was acting up, I went back to the carport and went to shut it off. I turned the key to the off position and it kept idling. I left it there for awhile (Maybe 20 seconds) And it shut off. I turned the key back to on and started it. This time it revved just fine again, and when I turned the key to off, shut off like it is supposed to. Seems electrical still???

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dang that's what I was thinking too. I was hoping maybe somebody know of a connection or otherwise that would tie these two things together

·
Registered
44 Posts
The little switch in the box where the throttle is I don't understand are the contacts supposed to touch or are they supposed to be apart.I know their is supposed to be about a 1/8 in. play.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
The lever should move about 1/8" before it starts pulling the throttle cable. There should also be 1/16-1/8" gap at the contacts for the ETC when adjusted correctly.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
I would say to check speed limter wires one could be grounding out. Next move to the cdi unit or the key switch. Check the wiring on both.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts