Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie here any way. I'm
looking at buying this 1996 425 4x4 magnum.I never had a polaris before. The owner says that it runs great for a half hour or so then it starts back firing. The exhaust has melted through the side panel. He also says it needs a battery.
Now! he thinks it needs points but i don't think it even has points! "does it" ?
has any one ever ran into this problem? I was thinking that maybe when the cooling fan comes on the voltage drop to the ignition system might cause the back firing / miss?
Is this a good quad? I have heard a lot of pos and neg things about the 425 magnum.
How much of a problem is the chain drive? Seams like the straight axle would be great for traction in the mud and climbing hills!
any advise or things to watch out for or prior experiences would be very helpful
Thank you all for your help, your advise and comments
Bill:You_Rock_Emoticon:

·
Registered
563 Posts
They have no points.The chains tension from what I hear need to be checked all the time.A guy I use to ride with had a 96 or 97 425 Magnum and he got rid of it.His plastic had a big burn hole too.Not saying that they are junk,but some people have more problems than others.I hope they are not asking much $$$ Polaris had some problems back then.Thats why some people dont like them now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
hey i'm new to this too but i have a95 magnum and still having problems with it not only backfiring but fouling new plugs in just a short ride have talked to some people that have said these were the worst years for polaris carbs personally i would say pass on it if its not running correctly right now

1 - 4 of 4 Posts