Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this rig recently and right off it started making some noise behind the left side cover, which I was told covered a drive belt. There isn't a Polaris dealer in my area of Idaho, so I took it to the local Artic Cat dealer, and they said it needed a new drive belt (or are there more than one ? ), so anyway I get it back, and took it with me camping over the 4th, and found that everytime I get on the throttle, it starts making a slapping sound inside that side case. I can put my hand on it, and can feel the belt or belts hitting case. I would think there would be some sort of adjustment to eliminate that. I took it to that dealer this morning, and asked the service dept guy about it, and he said that Polaris has a reputation for having that problem. Probably a bunch of BS, but was wondering if anyone here also had a similar problem, and if there is a way to fix it? BTW, this is the first post for me.
Krazy~
Mtn. Home, Idaho

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
527 Posts
You probably need a new belt Polaris part number 3211077. This is a common problem if you have not changed the belt in a while. I would clean the clutches, check the belt deflection and then install the new belt.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You probably need a new belt Polaris part number 3211077. This is a common problem if you have not changed the belt in a while. I would clean the clutches, check the belt deflection and then install the new belt.
Only about 75 miles on a new belt. Installed by the local Artic Cat servcie dept. No Polaris dealers in our area:-( I would think that a drive belt would have some sort of adjustment for tension. I don't have a repair manual to see if it does, but I'd think there should be some way to adjust the slack in the belt, so it doesn't hit the case :undwech:
Krazy~

·
Registered
527 Posts
One thing you would probably want to check is your clutch alignment. You would also want to check your center to center distance from clutch bolt to clutch bolt which should be 10 inches. Next you would want to check your belt deflection. With the belt installed, push down on the belt in the center of the two clutches with 10 pounds of weight. The belt should only go down 1 1/8 to 1 1/4 anymore then that will cause all kinds of problems. If you have any questions on how to adjust the belt deflection feel free to give me a call at 651-340-1129.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One thing you would probably want to check is your clutch alignment. You would also want to check your center to center distance from clutch bolt to clutch bolt which should be 10 inches. Next you would want to check your belt deflection. With the belt installed, push down on the belt in the center of the two clutches with 10 pounds of weight. The belt should only go down 1 1/8 to 1 1/4 anymore then that will cause all kinds of problems. If you have any questions on how to adjust the belt deflection feel free to give me a call at 651-340-1129.
Thanks for the info. :beerchug: I guess I'd better go buy a repair manual for it, so I can see how to remove the side case :)
Krazy~

1 - 6 of 6 Posts