Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the bike starts and runs decent but when you go past 1/4 throttle it bogs like crazy and backfires a little, but if you back off on the throttle a little it runs fine, to me it seems like a carb issue, ive tryed adjusting the float needle settings from 1 to 5 and no difference any ideas on what i should do???

·
Premium Member
04 Sportsman 700, 04 Scrambler 500, 04 trail touring 550 sled
1,346 Posts
Clean the carb.

·
Administrator
18,198 Posts
Yep - have the carb cleaned thoroughly - the float needle has no 1-5 settings, the mid-range slide needle has settings to adjust the air/fuel mixture between 1/8 and 3/4 throttle openings, but you are lacking sufficient fuel (clogged main jet or slide needle jet) or are getting too much fuel (main jet fell out). If you did not remove the carburetor when you made the adjustments, then you were no where close to the float needle and if you have to remove the carb, then have it cleaned as a matter of principle.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep - have the carb cleaned thoroughly - the float needle has no 1-5 settings, the mid-range slide needle has settings to adjust the air/fuel mixture between 1/8 and 3/4 throttle openings, but you are lacking sufficient fuel (clogged main jet or slide needle jet) or are getting too much fuel (main jet fell out). If you did not remove the carburetor when you made the adjustments, then you were no where close to the float needle and if you have to remove the carb, then have it cleaned as a matter of principle.
so should i remove all the jets and whats the best stuff to clean them with

·
Administrator
18,198 Posts
The best stuff to clean them with is Master Stages 2020 by Masterfluid Solutions mixed 10% with water, heated to 180 degrees F and used in a sonic cleaner.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i noticed yesterday if i pulled the choke out full that the bike had a lot more zip to it then when i pushed it back to the off position it started to cough and spit again so does this point to a main jet problem and would i be wise to replace all the jets with a lower number jet, could that possibly make it run better and if so where could i purchase these besides the dealer....

·
Administrator
18,198 Posts
If it's a Mikuni carb, any motorcycle shop may have or can get the jets. They should be replaced with the same size as was installed at time of manufacture.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I took the carb all apart and soaking all the parts overnight, I blew all the different holes in the carb out with my air compresser, plus I took the air box right out of the bike and noticed there was some chunks of leaves and a lot of grease/dirt inside it but not where the filter is,it's nice and clean, so I cleaned all that up but I noticed when I took the carb all apart the FUEL INLET VALVE SEAT ASSEMBLY is supposed to have a screen on the end of it and there isn't one at all...could this be my problem???

·
Administrator
18,198 Posts
No - whether the float needle seat has a filter or not is not an issue unless debris is clogging the hole or preventing the needle from shutting off the fuel entering the float bowl

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ya the diaphragm looks fine no holes or cracks
I looked at the lines coming from the fuel pump now the inlet hose should be coming from the tank and the outlet hose should be going to the carb correct???? I think I might have them hooked up backwards....

·
Administrator
18,198 Posts
Right - inlet is from the tank and outlet goes to the carb - the pulse line also goes to the carb, but to a nipple on the engine side rather than the air box side.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts