Polaris ATV Forum banner

1996 polaris 400 explorer

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  glc4122 
#1 ·
i have the atv listed above it is 2 stoke and have trouble starting at times. i always run out gas and turn valve everytime.it is not getting gas at times, took of line to carburator and no flow,then moved the line from under tank move to pointing end downwards and gas will start to flow? could this be the valve not fully opening or a obstruction in line? or could it be vapor lock of some sort? i forgot to mention i did a compression test and got reading of 95 lbs approximate. all help will be appreciated.

#2 ·
You have just enough compression for it to run ok. 115 is where you want to be and 100 is the minimum to operate on 400’s. Sounds like your petcock or petcock screen is clogged. Pull it off the tank and tear it down to clean. I would replace the fuel line as well just to make sure it is not an obstruction in the line.

#4 ·
How did you check the compression? Were you holding the throttle wide open during the check? If not the reading will be low. At 95 psi I would be surprised it would start. 120 to 150 is a more normal static compression. Once the engine is started, the compression rises. Unfortunately if the compression is low, the only option to restore compression is a top end rebuild.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.